Volleyball Preview: Conference USA Opening Weekend
North Texas Travels to UTEP, UTSA to Open C-USA
Match #14: North Texas (9-4, 0-0) at UTEP (2-10, 0-1)
Memorial Gym (5,200) – El Paso, TX
Friday, Sept. 26, 8 p.m. CT
Match #15: North Texas (9-4, 0-0) at UTSA (5-7, 0-0)
Convocation Center (2,650) – San Antonio, TX
Sunday, Sept. 28, 1 p.m. CT
- North Texas is undefeated on the opening weekend of conference play dating back to 2011. In the last decade, the Mean Green has lost only seven total matches during this weekend.
- After getting off to their best start in program history with nine wins and only one loss through the first 10 matches, North Texas has dropped three consecutive games. The three game losing skid is the longest stretch since 2011.
- Head coach Andrew Palileo is still looking to pick up his 300th overall career victory. Palileo, in a span of just over 15 years, has earned 299 victories and 214 losses, good for the winningest coach of the nine hires in the Mean Green’s history. The win total alone is already more than double the next coach on the all-time list (Martin, 141-233).
- History is on Coach Palileo's side... His first career Division I victory as a head coach came against UTEP almost exactly a decade ago when he was at the helm for South Dakota State in September of 2004. Palileo's squad defeated the Miners in a five-set thriller in El Paso. As fate would have it, UTEP would travel just two days later to face--you guessed it--North Texas.
- The Mean Green was picked to finish fourth in the Conference USA race by a vote of the league’s head coaches. Last season, North Texas found itself in a three-way tie for fourth with Middle Tennessee and Marshall in the final C-USA standings.
- North Texas trails both the Miners and Roadrunners in the respective all-time series (4-7, 7-14). The Mean Green took the last meeting from UTEP 3-0, but dropped the last meeting with UTSA 3-0, both during last season.