North Texas Volleyball Punches Tournament Ticket With 3-1 Victory
The Mean Green Secure The No. 7 Seed In C-USA Tournament
DENTON -- The North Texas volleyball team punched its ticket to the Conference USA tournament with a 3-1 victory over Louisiana Tech on Sunday afternoon at the North Texas Volleyball Center.
"It is good to get back into the win column," head coach Andrew Palileo said. "I thought we played well today as a team to go along with some strong individual efforts."
With the win, North Texas (12-15, 6-6 C-USA) claimed the seventh seed in the tournament as it holds the tiebreaker over LA Tech and UTEP. This is the fourth-straight trip to the tournament for North Texas.
"The strong individual performances we had today impacted how our team played and we need that to continue as we get closer to the tournament," Palileo added.
Holly Milam paced the North Texas attack with 22 kills, a new career high for the junior. Mikali Myers also had a solid afternoon, registering five kills off the bench for the Mean Green.
The Lady Techsters (13-16, 4-9 C-USA) were on a three-match winning streak entering the day, but the Mean Green ended that with the four-set (25-23, 25-12, 18-25, 25-15) victory.
With frame one tied at six, LA Tech opened a five-point lead behind multiple North Texas errors. After a North Texas timeout, the Mean Green rallied to tie the set at 15. The Mean Green pulled ahead, 20-17, but could not hold on as LA Tech rallied back to knot the set at 23. The Mean Green secured the set, 25-23, behind kills from Emma Eakin and Amanda Chamberlain.
North Texas controlled set two, as it would never trail in the frame. The Mean Green had runs of 9-2 and 6-2 to win the lopsided set 25-12, and take a 2-0 match lead.
After LA Tech secured its first set with a 25-18 victory in set three, the Mean Green responded with another huge victory in set four. The Mean Green used multiple-point runs to take the set 25-15 and win the match 3-1.
• Karley York logged her 10th double-double of the season, registering 40 assists and 12 digs. Her 40 assists push her over the 1,000 mark for a career
• Milam's 55 attacks in the match marks her second highest total this season behind the 57 she posted versus Texas A&M
• North Texas out-hit the Lady Techsters .243 to .131
• LekaLeka Kiner-Falefa led all players with 17 digs
• Myers' 14 attacks tied a career high
• Amanda Chamberlain hit .450 today, raising her season mark to .367. The mark is good for second in program history
• This was North Texas' second victory over LA Tech this season
Up Next For North Texas
The Mean Green will hit the road for their final conference road trip of the season. The Mean Green will take on No. 21 Western Kentucky on Thursday, Nov. 10, at 7 p.m. before finishing the trip versus Middle Tennessee on Saturday, Nov. 12, at noon.