Mean Green Bounces Back on the Road in Three Set Sweep
North Texas Sweeps Season Series Against Louisiana Tech
RUSTON, LA-North Texas snapped a three game Conference USA skid, defeating Louisiana Tech in a dominating three set performance (25-14, 30-28, 25-21) in Ruston on Sunday afternoon. With the victory, the Mean Green also avoided its fourth consecutive road loss, a streak that previously dated back to Septemember 26 when North Texas last defeated UTEP in El Paso.
The Mean Green came out firing on all cylinders, jumping on LA Tech early in the match with a landslide first set victory. North Texas, led my Carnae Dillard's 19 kills and Holly Milam's .643 hitting, built early momentum with .519 team hitting en route to a 25-14 set one win.
"I thought we played better today defensively," Palileo added. "[We] gave ourselves extra opportunities to score and took advantage of those opportunities."
Three players reached double digit figures in digs for North Texas; Eboni Godfrey with a team-high 11, Hanna Forst and Dillard each with 10 digs. The Mean Green only committed one reception error in the entire match and held the Lady Techsters to .203 team hitting, picking up five total team blocks along the way.
North Texas (13-9, 4-5 C-USA) looks to even their Conference USA record back up at .500 when they take on Florida Atlantic (14-6, 5-2 C-USA) inside the friendly confines of the North Texas Volleyball Center in Denton on Friday, October 24, at 7 p.m.
- With the victory, North Texas improves to 4-4 on the road in 2014; the four victories already eclipse last season's road win total of three (3-8 in 2013). The Mean Green are slated to play three more matches as the visiting team this season.
- Dillard's 19 kill, 10 dig performance on Sunday brought her season double-double total to 16. She is now in a tie with College of Charleston's Melissa Morello for the NCAA-lead.
- Freshman Holly Milam's .643 hitting percentage against LA Tech crushed her previous season best of .389 set on the opening weekend of play against Missouri. She recorded 10 kills and only one error on 14 total attack attempts.
- With her 10 kill, 10 dig performance, Forst has now recorded a double-double in three of the last four matches. She has four total double-doubles on the season.
- North Texas, who sealed up a season sweep of LA Tech on Sunday, hasn't dropped a set to the Lady Techsters since 2006. With three consecutive wins against LA Tech, the Mean Green is now 7-12 in the all-time series that dates back to 1989.
- Marshall 3, Charlotte 2
- Southern Miss 3, at FIU 2
- WKU 3, at UTEP 0
- Florida Atlantic 3, Middle Tennessee 0
- UTSA 3, Rice 2