Aug. 30, 2014
DENTON- The North Texas volleyball team made quick work of an outmatched Mississippi Valley State team in a three set victory on Saturday morning at the North Texas Volleyball Center to open the season at 2-0 for the third time in the last five years, and first time under head coach Andrew Palileo
The Mean Green were able to test their team depth against an outmanned MVSU, as Palileo experimented with a variation of lineups compared to last night's victory over Northwestern State. With a roster full of freshmen playing in their first weekend of collegiate competition, the match proved to provide valuable game experience to many.
Freshman Chelsea Abii
made the most of her playing time, recording a 13 kill performance with an outstanding .435 hitting percentage. Bailey Banks
, another freshmen, also turned out a seven kill performance.
The Mean Green will take on No. 15 Missouri in the final match of the North Texas Invitational at 7 p.m. in the North Texas Volleyball Center. Live stats will be provided at MeanGreenStats.comNT vs MVSU BOX SCORE
Around the North Texas Invitational
- Northwestern State (1-1) knocked off #15 Missouri in the second match of the day with a surprising three set sweep (25-19, 25-19, 25-22), ending a 35 straight regular season match win streak for the Tigers. Northwestern vs #15 Missouri Box Score
- The loss is only the second in 19 matches during the opening weekend of play since 2009.
- Northwestern State will carry momentum into their back-to-back and final match of the North Texas Invitational against MVSU at 4 p.m.
- Missouri is slated to finish up play on Saturday with a match against North Texas at 7 p.m. in the North Texas Volleyball Center.
- Northwestern's Mackenzie Neely finished the Missouri match with a 14 kill, .462 attack percentage performance.
- Northwestern's Keelie Arneson leads the tournament field with 48 digs.