MOBILE, Ala. (4/22/05) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team closed out its 2004-05 season with a 4-1 setback to Middle Tennessee in the first round of the Sun Belt Conference Tournament on Friday at the Mobile Tennis Center.
The Mean Green finished its season with a 13-11 record, marking the first time in school history that the women’s tennis program has posted a winning record four consecutive years.
The Lady Raiders grabbed the doubles points after narrowly winning the top two flights, taking each one by no more than two points. Katherine Harris and Krysta Lee recorded 18 victories this season, the third most in school history by a No. 1 doubles team.
Sophomore Katherine Harris picked up the Mean Green’s only singles victory, defeating Ann-Kristin Siljestrom in straight sets. Harris won her career-best 20th match of the season and also became the first North Texas player to win 20 or matches in a season since 2002-03.
Flights five and six were not finished after the Lady Raiders clinched the match with their third singles win.
Middle Tennessee, 4
North Texas, 1
1. Klaschka/Siljestrom (MT) d. Harris/K. Lee (NT), 8-6
2. Cibils/Vest (MT) d. Royer/Sammis (NT), 8-5
3. H. Lee/Stockinger (NT) vs. Szabo/Williams (MT), dnf
1. Jennifer Klaschka (MT) d. Krista Lee (NT), 6-1, 6-1
2. Ana Maria Cibils (MT) d. Kelli Royter (NT), 6-2, 6-4
3. Katherine Harris (NT) d. Ann-Kristin Sijestrom (MT), 7-5, 6-2
4. Claudia Szabo (MT) d. Megan Schmulbach (NT), 7-5, 6-3
5. Ashley Sammis (NT) vs. Emily Vest (MT), dnf
6. Aziza Aba Butain (NT) vs. Jacqui Williams (MT), dnf