DENTON (4/10/05) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team (12-9) took New Mexcio State (10-6) to the wire, but was unable to pull out the victory in a 4-3 setback Sunday at Goldfield Tennis Center in its final Sun Belt Conference match of the regular season.
The Aggies took two of the three doubles flights to grab a quick 1-0 advantage, but the Mean Green won three of the first five completed singles matches to tie the score at 3-3 with one match still in play. Playing flight three, NT’s Katherine Harris forced a full three sets that included a tiebreaker, but the Aggies Fanny Rollet narrowly pulled out the final set 7-6(6) to end the match.
While Holly Lee and Ingrid Stockinger won flight three by an 8-6 score, North Texas was unable to pick up the doubles point for just the eighth time in 21 matches. NT got singles victories from Megan Schmulbach, Ashley Sammis and Aziza Aba Butain, all in straight sets. Sammis and Schmulbach completed a perfect weekend, also winning their singles matches in a 5-2 North Texas win over Arkansas State on Friday.
North Texas finishes the regular season with a 3-4 record in Sun Belt Conference play, but still has two non-conference matches remaining before the Sun Belt Conference Tournament. NT will host UT-Arlington on Tuesday at 2 p.m. and SMU on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. The Mean Green is 6-4 at home this year.
RESULTS (April 10, 2005)
New Mexico State, 4
North Texas, 3
1. Mignot/Porobic (NSMU) d. Harris/K. Lee (NT), 8-4
2. Fintell/F. Rollet (NMSU) d. Aba Butain/Schmulbach (NT), 8-2
3. H. Lee/Stockinger (NT) d. Mayr/V. Rollet (NMSU), 8-6
1. Isabelle Mignot (NMSU) d. Krysta Lee (NT), 6-3, 7-5
2. Lejla Porobic (NMSU) d. Kelli Royer (NT), 7-6(5), 6-2
3. Fanny Rollet (NMSU) d. Katherine Harris (NT), 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(6)
4. Megan Schmulbach (NT) d. Nicole Fintell (NMSU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Ashley Sammis (NT) d. Sandra Mayr (NMSU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Aziza Aba Butain (NT) d. Violaine Rollet (NMSU), 6-2, 6-4