DENTON (4/9/06) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team (5-15) got back on the winning track Sunday with a 4-1 victory over Stephen F. Austin (6-11) at the Waranch Tennis Pavilion.
The abbreviated match featured just one doubles match and four singles matches. Aziza Aba Butain and Ina Wieding defeated Gabriela Gadeva and Laura Harrison in straight sets to give the Mean Green an early 1-0 advantage heading into singles play.
Sammie Moreton, Megan Schmulbach and Sara Giles all picked up victories in flights two through four to lead North Texas in singles action. Moreton won flight two in straight sets, while Schmulbach and Giles each played a full three sets. Giles won her second straight match to pick up her team-best 10th victory of the spring season.
North Texas returns to action Wednesday, April 12, when it plays at UT-Arlington at 2 p.m.
North Texas, 4
Stephen F. Austin, 1
1. Aziza Aba Butain/Ina Wieding (NT) def. Gabriela Gadeva/Laura Harrison (SFA), 7-5, 6-2
1. Laura Harrison (SFA) def. Lynley Wasson (NT), 6-3, 6-3
2. Sammie Moreton (NT) def. Kama Scott (SFA), 6-1, 6-2
3. Megan Schmulbach (NT) def. Megan Langston (SFA), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Sara Giles (NT) def. Lauren Nowicki (SFA), 3-6, 7-5, 6-4