LAS COLINAS (3/26/05) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team (11-7) snapped a two-match losing streak Saturday, defeating the UTEP Miners 5-1 after poor weather conditions moved the match from Denton to the Las Colinas Country Club’s indoor facility.
The outing began with singles and doubles weren’t played after North Texas secured the victory by winning five of the six individual matches. The Mean Green claimed its eighth victory by at least three points and ran its record to 5-3 in home contests.
"I was very proud of our team and the way we fought today," said North Texas head coach Dawna Prevette. "This was a good win as we continue to prepare for the upcoming (Sun Belt) conference tournament."
NT’s Krysta Lee and Kelli Royer won the top two flights in three sets, while freshman Aziza Aba Butain took the sixth flight in a full three sets as well. Megan Schmulbach and Ashley Sammis won flight three and four, respectively, in straight sets.
The Mean Green will play its final road match of the regular season on April 3 at Louisiana-Lafayette, the first of three straight Sun Belt Conference matches for NT. The Mean Green will play four of its final five regular-season matches at Goldfield Tennis Center in Denton before playing in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament April 22-24.
North Texas, 5
1. Krysta Lee (NT) d. Kendall Exelby (UTEP), 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
2. Kelli Royer (NT) d. Tea Spirta (UTEP), 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
3. Weronika Bloczynska (UTEP) d. Katherine Harris (NT), 7-5, 6-0
4. Megan Schmulbach (NT) d. Teri Wilkerson (UTEP), 6-4, 6-3
5. Ashley Sammis (NT) d. Danielle King (UTEP), 6-2, 6-3
6. Aziza Aba Butain (NT) d. Katherine Palider (UTEP), 6-2, 1-6, 10-3