DeLAND, Fla. (3/14/06) The North Texas women’s tennis team (4-12) fell 4-3 against Stetson on Tuesday at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center, ending a three-match road swing over the past three days through Florida for the Mean Green.
North Texas claimed the matches first point after winning flights one and three in doubles action. However, the Hatters won four singles matches to pull out the comeback victory.
Lynley Wasson led North Texas on the day, winning both her singles and doubles matches. The freshman standout paired up with Ina Wieding to win the No. 1 doubles match and then claimed a straight-sets victory at the No. 2 spot in singles play.
Megan Schmulbach won flight four in singles play, while Aziza Aba Butain and Sara Giles won the third flight in doubles action.
North Texas returns home for its next match, an 11 a.m. contest against Sun Belt Conference opponent Arkansas State on Saturday at the Waranch Tennis Pavilion.
North Texas, 3
1. Mili Milovanovic (Stet) d. Ina Wieding (NT) 6-2, 6-0
2. Lynley Wasson (NT) d. Marina Levin (Stet) 6-2, 6-0
3. Maja Miladinovic (Stet) d. Sammie Moreton (NT) 6-2, 6-4
4. Megan Schmulbach (NT) d. Anna Leonenko (Stet) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Catherine Canady (Stet) d. Aziza Aba Butain (NT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Samantha Lange (Stet) d. Sara Giles (NT) 5-7, 7-6, 6-1
1. Wasson/Wieding (NT) d. Levin/Milovanovic (Stet) 8-5
2. Canady/Leonenko (Stet) d. Moreton/Schmulbach (NT) 8-3
3. Aba Butain/Giles (NT) d. Mollman/Lange (Stet) 8-6