FULLERTON, Calif. (3/14/05) -- The doubles point turned out to be the deciding factor in the North Texas women’s tennis team’s (10-5) 4-3 victory over Cal State Fullerton on Monday as the Mean Green reached double-figure victories for the fourth consecutive season.
North Texas won its 10th match of the season and has now won at least 10 matches four straight years for the first time in school history. The win also gave the Mean Green a 3-1 record in its current five-match road stretch that concludes Tuesday at No. 67 Long Beach State.
North Texas head coach Dawna Prevette recorded her 57th victory at the school, which is the second most by any coach in the women’s tennis program’s 26-year history.
The Mean Green won the doubles point for the 10th time in its first 15 matches, in large part due to the play of Katherine Harris and Krysta Lee. The pair won the top doubles flight against the Titans to improve to 11-4 in spring play and pick up their 15th victory overall. Those 15 wins ties the fourth most in school history by a No. 1 doubles team during a single season. Holly Lee and Ingrid Stockinger also won flight three to help give NT the deciding point.
North Texas and Cal State Fullerton split the six single flights as the Mean Green got wins from Katherine Harris, Ashley Sammis and Ingrid Stockinger. Stockinger defeated CSF’s Caroline Freeman in flight six to pick up her fourth straight win.
RESULTS (March 14, 2005)
North Texas, 4
Cal State Fullerton, 3
1. Harris/K. Lee (NT) d. Rocha/Tran (CSF), 8-6
2. Inalpulat/Le (CSF) d. Royer/Sammis (NT), 8-5
3. Holly Lee/Stockinger (NT) d. Dunbar/Freeman (CSF), 8-5
1. Ruya Inalpulat (CSF) d. Krysta Lee (NT), 7-6, 1-6, 6-2
2. Gina Le (CSF) d. Kelli Royer (NT), 6-7, 6-1, 7-5
3. Katherine Harris (NT) d. Carla Rocha (CSF), 6-1, 7-6
4. Mai-Ly Tran (CSF) d. Mega Schmulbach (NT), 6-3, 6-3
5. Ashley Sammis (NT) d. Nicole Arias (CSF), 7-6, 6-3
6. Ingrid Stockinger (NT) d. Caroline Freeman (CSF), 6-2, 6-2