Denton (3-2-07) Despite the first singles win by newcomer Emi Itabashi, the North Texas tennis team (0-9) fell 6-1 to New Mexico State Friday at Waranch Tennis Complex.
“The girls played extremely hard today and battled throughout the match,” assistant coach Jeff Maren said. “It seemed as if some of the matches were like boxing matches. It was like they were trading punch for punch and our players never gave up. They battled till the end. Coach Lama and I are proud of the effort and energy that the players are showing on the court. All of the players are helping each other and encouraging each other. Despite the outcome, they are staying positive and competing as a team.”
Emi Itabashi, a sophomore walk-on, won (6-4, 6-2) at the No. 6 singles spot against Lindsay Green. It marked Itabashi’s second team win after she and Hollie Carras teamed up to defeat Brown/Lifonova (9-7) of UT-Arlington two weeks ago. That win was the first by a Mean Green newcomer this season.
Aziza Aba Butain also battled hard in the No. 3 singles spot against Nicole Fintell, but ultimately fell 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.
The Mean Green travels to take on Arkansas-Little Rock on Saturday, March 10 at 10:00 a.m.; and faces Arkansas State on Sunday, March 11 at noon.
North Texas- 1, New Mexico State- 6
1. Fagegaltier/Zosta def Schmulbach/Aba Butain 8-5
2. Fintell/Juricek def. Giles/Franca 8-2
3. Green/Zuniga def. Itsbashi/Caras 8-0
1. Zeljka Juricek def. Megan Schmulbach 6-0, 1-6, 6-4
2. Anne Fagegaliter def. Idalina Franca 6-0, 6-4
3. Nicole Fintell def. Aziza Aba Butain 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Paulina Zuniga def. Mary Poe 6-0, 6-0
5. Leksa Zosta def. Sara Giles 6-4, 6-3
6. Emi Itabashi def. Lindsay Green 6-4, 6-2