NACOGDOCHES (2/18/05) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team improved to 6-2 on the young season with a 4-3 victory over Stephen F. Austin Friday at the SFA Tennis Courts.
The Mean Green won two of the three doubles flights to claim the first point of the match for the seventh time this year. Katherine Harris and Krysta Lee won the top flight 8-2 to pick up their team-leading fifth victory of the spring season. Megan Schmulbach and Ashley Sammis won flight three by a 9-8 (10-4) score, which gave the Mean Green what turned out to be the match-winning point.
The two teams split the six singles matches with NT’s Lee, Harris and Kelli Royer all picking up victories. The match marked just the second time this season the Mean Green won all of the top three flights. All three North Texas wins were in straight sets, while two of its three setbacks went three.
North Texas wraps up a five-match road swing Saturday at Sam Houston State at 1 p.m..
1. Krysta Lee (UNT) def. Robin Houston, 6-4, 6-1
2. Katherine Harris (UNT) def. Laura Harrison, 6-3, 7-5
3. Kelli Royer (UNT) def. Lauren Nowicki, 6-3, 6-0
4. Ashley Johnson (SFA) def. Megan Schmulbach, 4-6, 7-5 (10-6)
5. Megan Langston (SFA) def. Ashley Sammis, 6-4, 6-4
6. Kama Scott (SFA) def. Ingrid Stockinger, 3-6, 6-4 (10-6)
1. Harris/K. Lee (UNT) def. Houston/Scott, 8-2
2. Johnson/Langston (SFA) def. Holly Lee/Royer, 8-2
3. Schmulbach/Sammis (UNT) def. Harrison/Melissa Bass, 9-8 (10-4)