FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (2/12/05) -- The North Texas women’s tennis team improved to 5-1 with a 5-2 victory over Southwest Missouri State Saturday on the campus of the University of Arkansas.
The Mean Green’s 5-1 record ties its best start through six matches since the 2001-02 season. NT won the doubles point for the fifth time this year and secured its fifth win by at least three points.
North Texas dropped the top flight in doubles, but secured the point by winning the other two flights. Kelli Royer and Holly Lee won flight two by a 9-8 score and Ashley Sammis and Megan Schmulbach took the third flight 8-1.
Sammis and Schmulbach also won their singles matches to pace North Texas. Katherine Harris picked up her team-best sixth victory of the spring season with a flight-three win and Ingrid Stockinger cruised to a flight six win. All four NT singles victories were in straight sets.
The Mean Green wraps up play this week with a 10 a.m. match against No. 53 Arkansas tomorrow.
North Texas 5
Southwest Missouri State 2
1. Garza/Stanojevic (SMS) d. K. Lee/Harris, 8-6
2. Royer/Holly Lee (NT) d. Manzur/Gakovic (SMS), 9-8
3. Sammis/Schmulbach (NT) d. Ardila/Harmazy (SMS), 8-1
1. Elizabeth Garza (SMS) d. Kelli Royer (NT), 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Maja Stanojevic (SMS) d. Krysta Lee (NT), 6-0, 6-3
3. Katherine Harris (NT) d. Paty Manzur (SMS), 6-3, 6-3
4. Megan Schmulbach (NT) d. Mali Gakovic (SMS), 6-4, 6-4
5. Ashley Sammis (NT) d. Carolina Ardila (SMS), 6-3, 6-1
6. Ingrid Stockinger (NT) d. Stephany Harmazy (SMS), 6-0, 6-1