FORT WORTH (2/9/05) -- The No. 20 TCU Horned Frogs (2-0) pinned the North Texas women’s tennis team (4-1) with its first setback of the season Wednesday, defeating the Mean Green 7-0 at the Bayard H. Friedman Center.
The Mean Green started the season with a 4-0 record for the first time since 2001-02 and is now 4-1 for the third consecutive year under head coach Dawna Prevette.
While TCU swept all three doubles matches, the Mean Green fell by no more than three points in two different flights. The Horned Frogs were led by two players ranked among the top 25 in the nation and one doubles team ranked among the top 50.
"I think it’s a great experience (to play against a top 25 team)," said Prevette. "We need to play some of those teams and grow from it. We played tough overall as a team. We weren’t intimidated and I was impressed with how we fought."
NT’s Kelli Royer played No. 25 Helena Besovic tough in flight two, but fell by scores of 6-3 and 6-4.
North Texas continues a five-match road swing this week with two matches in Fayetteville, Ark., against Southwest Missouri State and No. 53 Arkansas. The Mean Green plays SMS Saturday at 2 p.m. and Arkansas Sunday at 10 a.m.
1. Centik/Tweedie-Yates (TCU) d. K. Lee/Harris (NT), 8-5
2. No. 34 Besovic/Karla Mancinas (TCU) d. H. Lee/Royer (NT), 8-3
3. Paige Brown/Morgado (TCU) d. Sammis/Schmulbach (NT), 9-7
1. No. 14 Story Tweedie-Yates (TCU) d. Krysta Lee (NT), 6-0, 6-0
2. No. 25 Helena Besovic (TCU) d. Kelli Royer (NT), 6-3, 6-4
3. Ana Cetnik (TCU) d. Katherine Harris (NT), 6-2, 6-0
4. Gloriann Lopez (TCU) d. Ashley Sammis (NT), 6-0, 6-0
5. Kewa Nichols (TCU) d. Megan Schmulbach (NT), 6-2, 6-3
6. Andrea Morgado (TCU) d. Holly Lee (NT), 6-1, 6-0