EL PASO (2/3/06) The North Texas women’s tennis team (1-1) bounced back from a season-opening setback at No. 14 TCU by defeating UTEP 4-3 on Friday in its second consecutive road match.
The Mean Green caught UTEP in the second of seven straight road matches to start the season and the first of four matches over a three-day span. UTEP, ranked nationally as recently as 2002, is now 2-2 on the season.
NT struck first by winning two of the three doubles flights to take an early 1-0 advantage and then held off UTEP by splitting the six singles matches. Two of the Mean Green’s three losses in singles action went a full three sets, including freshman Lynley Wasson’s flight-one match.
Ina Wieding and Sara Giles were all perfect on the day, winning both their singles and doubles matches. Both players picked up their first victories of the spring season as well.
Aziza Aba Butain and Wasson paired up to win the No. 2 doubles match, while Wieding and Giles collected a victory at the No. 3 spot. Both teams won their matches by at least three points.
Wieding defeated Megan Pritchard in flight No. 2 in straight sets and Megan Schmulbach won her flight four match over Vicky Michaud in straight sets as well, while Sara Giles defeated Amber Brightly in three.
North Texas 4
1. King/Pritchard (UTEP) def. Moreton/Schmulbach (NT), 8-6
2. Butain/Wasson (NT) def. Wilkerson/Michaud (UTEP), 8-4
3. Wieding/Giles (NT) def. Brightly/Spirta (UTEP), 8-5
1. Teri Wilkerson (UTEP) def. Lynley Wasson (NT), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Ina Wieding (NT) def. Megan Pritchard (UTEP), 6-0, 7-6 (7-1)
3. Katherine Palider (UTEP) def. Aziza Aba Butain (NT), 7-5, 0-6, 4-3 (retired)
4. Megan Schmulbach (NT) def. Vicky Michaud (UTEP), 6-1, 6-1
5. Sandra Spirta (UTEP) def. Sammie Moreton (NT), 6-1, 6-3
6. Sara Giles (NT) def. Amber Brightly (UTEP), 3-6, 6-4, 6-3