Lafayette, LA (2/2/07) - The North Texas tennis team started its road trip with a 7-0 loss to Louisiana-Lafayette on Friday afternoon at Cajun Courts.
The Mean Green (0-2) lost its second match of the year, while the Ragin' Cajuns improved to 2-0.
"Our players played extremely hard," said North Texas assistant coach Jeff Maren. "We just played a very tough opponent. UL Lafayette was a top 75 team last year, and I expect them to be nationally-ranked in the near future. Our girls played competitively despite the score."
In singles action, North Texas was swept in all six sets. Senior Megan Schmulbach lost to Tammy Day at the No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-0, while junior Idalina Franca fell to Myrthe Molenveld, 6-7, 6-4, 10-2 in the No. 2 position.
Junior Aziza Aba Butain played at No. 3 for the second straight match and fell to Chanell Meijer, 6-3, 6-1. Newcomers Hollie Caras, Emi Itabashi and Mary Poe all lost in straight sets.
In doubles action, the Cajuns picked up the point after winning all three sets. Schmulbach and Franca teamed up at No. 1 doubles, while Sarah Giles made her first appearance of the spring but lost at No. 2 doubles alongside Aba Butain.
North Texas returns to action on Saturday, Feb . 3 when it faces Southern Mississippi at 11am.
1. Tammy Day (UL) def. Megan Schmulbach (UNT) 6-1, 6-0
2. Myrthe Molenveld (UL) def. Idalina Franca (UNT) 6-7, 6-4, 10-2
3. Chanell Meijer (UL) def. Aziza Aba Butain (UNT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Clemence Remy (UL) def. Hollie Caras (UNT) 6-2, 6-1
5. Laura Martelli (UL) def. Mary Poe (UNT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Kimmie Lyles (UL) def. Emi Itabashi (UNT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Chanell Meijer and Tammy Day (UL) def. Megan Schmulbach and Idalina Franca (UNT) 8-0.
2. Clemence Remy and Myrthe Molenveld (UL) def. Aziza Aba Butain and Sarah Giles (UNT) 8-2.
3. Laura Martelli and Kimmie Lyles (UL) def. Mary Poe and Emi Itabashi (UNT) 8-2.