Shestakova, Two Doubles Teams Will Play For Titles On Sunday
North Texas Could Win Two Draws In Final Day of Wild West Open Shootout
Nastya Shestakova will compete for the Flight B championship on Sunday. (Photo by Rick Yeatts)
WILD WEST OPEN SHOOTOUT TOURNAMENT CENTRAL
DENTON - Head tennis coach Sujay Lama thought his team had more to offer than the performance it put on in Day 1 of the Wild West Open Shootout. But the Mean Green responded in the second day of play from the Waranch Tennis Complex as one singles player and two doubles duos have a shot to win their respective draws after Saturday’s action.
Overall, North Texas put together a 6-1 singles record and a 6-2 doubles mark on the day, with both losses in the doubles bracket coming at the hands of Mean Green teammates.
In the Flight B bracket, Anastasiya Shestakova stole the show by advancing to Sunday’s championship round. The senior took down Liberty senior Valerie Thong by a 6-1, 6-3 score, and she will now face junior Emily Groeneveld of Liberty in the draw’s final match.
“It was a great day, and we did a good job in singles and doubles,” Shestakova said at the day’s end. “Everyone fought hard, showed a great effort and the chemistry between courts was really amazing.”
The B draw’s championship showdown very nearly came down to a battle of two North Texas athletes as Groeneveld needed three sets to defeat Mean Green senior Kamilla Galieva in the semifinal round; 7-6(4), 2-6, 6-1.
Meanwhile, two Mean Green players have the opportunity to seize consolation titles after a solid Day 2. Freshman Maria Kononova (Flight A) defeated Seminole State College sophomore Miranda Rodriguez by a closely-contested 7-6(2), 6-3 mark, forcing a matchup with UTA’s Jessica Birowski for the back draw title. Likewise, senior Agustina Valenzuela has a shot at the Flight B consolation crown after enjoying a bye in the back draw’s semifinal round.
Each of the four teams with North Texas players won their quarterfinals matches in the doubles draw, inevitably meaning that two Mean Green teams would fall in the following round.
When the dust settled, the pair of Kononova and freshman Tamuna Kutubidze were the first group to advance to the doubles finals. They defeated junior Lauren Mabe and freshman Aleksandra Panchenko from Liberty with a 6-1 score, an effort that came after a 6-3 win over North Texas’ own Agustina Valenzuela and Alexis Thoma in the semifinals.
The Kononova-Kutubidze tandem will face another rookie duo in freshman Laura Arciniegas and unattached competitor Minying Liang. Arciniegas and Liang cruised to a 6-3 win against the unaffiliated team of Elizabeth Slaughter and Rocio Fernandez de Camilo, following that up with a 6-4 victory against Galieva and Shestakova of North Texas.
Kutubidze, Thoma, Arciniegas and Valenzuela also picked up victories in extra matches on Saturday.
Flight A Singles Results
• Kononova falls to Dollar (Liberty); 6-2, 6-4
• Kutubidze defeats Rodriguez (Seminole State College); 6-1, 6-2
• Thoma defeats Birowski (UTA); 6-4, 6-3
• Kutubidze falls to Rivera (Liberty); 7-5, 6-4
• Thoma falls to Crist (Liberty); 6-1, 6-2
• Kononova defeats Serio (UTA); 7-5, 6-0
• Kononova defeats Rodriguez (Seminole); 7-6(2), 6-3
• Kutubidze defeats Dollar (Liberty); 6-4, 6-1
• Thoma defeats Varon (Seminole); 6-2, 3-0 (ret.)
Flight B Singles Results
• Arciniegas defeats Finnigan (Seminole); 6-0, 6-0
• Valenzuela falls to Thong (Liberty); 4-6, 6-2, 10-7
• Galieva received first-round bye
• Shestakova received first-round bye
• Galieva defeats Panchenko (Liberty); 6-2, 1-6, 11-9
• Arciniegas falls to Groeneveld (Liberty); 6-3, 6-2
• Shestakova defeats Mabe (Liberty); 6-1, 6-0
• Galieva falls to Groeneveld (Liberty); 7-6(4), 2-6, 6-1
• Shestakova defeats Thong (Liberty); 6-1, 6-3
• Valenzuela defeats Massereau (Seminole); 6-2, 6-1
• Valenzuela receives a bye
• Arciniegas defeats Panchenko (Liberty); 6-3, 6-3
• Valenzuela defeats Mabe (Liberty); 6-1, 6-3
• Valenzuela/Thoma defeat Massereau/Finnigan (Seminole), 6-3
• Galieva/Shestakova defeat Serio/Birowski (UTA), 6-4
• Kononova/Kutubidze received first-round bye
• Arciniegas/Liang (UA) received first-round bye
• Kononova/Kutubidze defeat Mabe/Panchenko (Liberty), 6-1
• Valenzuela/Thoma defeat Khval/Dollar (Liberty), 6-4
• Galieva/Shestakova defeat Crist/Thong (Liberty), 6-4
• Arciniegas/Liang (UA) defeat Slaughter/Fernandez (UA), 6-3
• Kononova/Kutubidze defeat Valenzuela/Thoma (NT), 6-3
• Arciniegas/Liang (UA) defeat Galieva/Shestakova (NT), 6-4