Rain Brings Premature Ending For Tennis At Texas Regionals
Four North Texas Players Leave College Station With Unfinished Matches
Rainy weather put an early end to North Texas' stay at the regional championships in College Station.
COLLEGE STATION - The North Texas tennis team’s participation at the USTA/ITA Texas Regional Championships was cut short on Saturday due to continued rainfall in College Station and across the state.
Tournament officials called off all remaining consolation matches in the 110-player event on Saturday morning, while the main draw matches will be relocated to the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center on Baylor’s campus until further notice. North Texas had two players remaining in the consolation singles draw, joined by one duo in the doubles bracket.
"It's too bad that the consolation matches have been cancelled,” head coach Sujay Lama said. “We were looking forward to having a great run and getting as many matches in as possible. It is disappointing but it is what it is.”
On Friday, senior Kamilla Galieva was the only North Texas player that was able to compete in her regularly scheduled match before the weather became a factor. In that consolation showdown, Galieva took down senior Reegan Greenwood of UT Rio Grande Valley; 6-1, 6-4.
The tournament schedule had been in a limbo all weekend as precipitation continued to add up. College Station and Brazos County remain under a flash flood watch as rainfall amounts have the potential to reach six inches or more in some areas, according to College Station-based KBTX News.
The Mean Green will conclude its fall season at the second annual Wild West Shootout from Denton. The tournament is set to begin on Friday, Nov. 6, and will wrap up the following Sunday.
Round of 128:
• Arciniegas falls to Martin (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi); 6-0, 4-6, 10-8
• Kononova defeats Collins (Texas State); 6-0, 6-0
• Valenzuela defeats Davis (ACU); 6-2, 6-3
• Thoma defeats Markovic (Houston); 6-2, 6-3
• Shestakova defeats Mortimore (Sam Houston); 6-2, 7-5
• Kutubidze defeats Lopez (SMU); 6-4, 1-6, 10-5
• Galieva advances to next round after opponent withdrawal
Round of 64:
• Kutubidze falls to (2) Gavrilovska (Texas A&M); 6-0, 6-1
• Galieva falls to Astete (Rice); 6-2, 6-2
• Thoma falls to (7) Federici (Texas Tech); 6-0, 1-6, 10-5
• Valenzuela falls to (10) Gonzalez (Texas A&M); 6-2, 6-1
• Kononova falls to (5) Bhosale (Texas A&M); 6-3, 6-2
• Shestakova falls to (12) Norris (TCU); 6-2, 6-2
• Galieva defeats Greenwood (UTRGV); 6-1, 6-4
Round of 64:
• Kononova/Kutubidze defeat Markovic/Vogasari (Houston), 6-3
• Arciniegas/Galieva defeat Boscher/Vives (TAMCC), 6-4
• Thoma/Shestakova received a first-round bye
Round of 32:
• Kononova/Kutubidze fall to Wagner/Arantenkin (TCU), 7-6(6)
• Arciniegas/Galieva fall to Hristov/Deheza (Texas A&M), 7-6(8)
• Thoma/Shestakova fall to Birowski/Lopez (UTA), 6-0