Tennis Picks Up Six Singles Wins In Day Two Of OU Invitational
Shestakova, Thoma Fall In Sooner Draw Semifinals To Highlight Saturday's Action
NORMAN, Okla. - The North Texas tennis team was back on the court from Oklahoma’s Fall Invitational on Saturday, picking up six singles wins to amass an 11-9 singles record through the first two days of play.
“There were some incredible individual efforts today,” head coach Sujay Lama said. “Nastya [Shestakova] and Alexis [Thoma] had terrific wins in the morning to put them through to semis.”
Each of those wins came in the morning’s quarterfinals matchups of the Sooner (second) draw, where Shestakova defeated Texas Tech’s Sabrina Federici 7-5, 6-4 in a tight two-set contest, while Thoma also added a win of her own, knocking off TCU sophomore Aleksandra Zenovka 7-5, 6-3.
But neither North Texas player could carry the momentum into the day’s afternoon duals. Shestakova lost 3-6, 6-0, 2-6 to Kansas Jayhawk Nina Khmelnitckaia, and Thoma fell 1-6, 2-6 to Alex Valenstein of Texas Tech.
Maria Kononova, Laura Arciniegas, Kamilla Galieva and Agustina Valenzuela also picked up a singles win in their respective brackets to round out Saturday’s singles action.
Headlining the final day for Mean Green tennis will be a pair of doubles duos, each of which will take on opposing teams from Wichita State at 9 a.m. on Sunday.
The freshmen tandem of Maria Kononova and Tamuna Kutubidze will compete against Shocker senior Julia Schiller and sophomore Gabriela Porubin in the crimson (main) doubles draw, while Alexis Thoma and Kamilla Galieva are set to take on junior Luca Pump and sophomore Giulia Guidetti in the doubles red draw.
Now with one day to go from Norman, Lama knows his team must stay focused throughout Sunday’s third and final day of weekend action.
“We are learning and growing with each match,” the tenth-year coach said. “It’s important for us to finish strong tomorrow.”
Boomer Singles Draw
• Kutubidze fell to Pereira (TCU): 4-6, 6-3, 6-7(5)
• Kononova fell to Erkeeva (SMU): 6-4, 3-6, 5-7
• Kutubidze fell to Hinton (Kansas): 1-6, 2-6
• Kononova def. King (TCU): 6-2, 6-4
Sooner Singles Draw
• Shestakova def. Federici (Texas Tech): 7-5, 6-4
• Thoma def. Zenovka (TCU): 7-5, 6-3
• Shestakova fell to Khmelnitckaia (Kansas): 3-6, 6-0, 2-6
• Thoma fell to Valenstein (Texas Tech): 1-6, 2-6
Stoops Singles Draw
• Galieva fell to Dadireddy (Tulsa): 2-6, 2-6
• Valenzuela fell to Trifunovic (Wichita St.): 3-6, 6-4, 6-7(4)
• Arciniegas def. Winthrow (OU): 3-6, 7-6(2), 6-4
• Galieva def. Bago (Kansas St.): 6-7(4), 6-2, 6-2
• Valenzuela def. Devine (Oklahoma): 6-3, 6-4