April 19, 2014
NORFOLK, Va. -The North Texas tennis team fell to No. 29 Rice in the semifinal round of the Conference USA Championships, Saturday in Norfolk Va.
"Rice was too good today," said head coach Sujay Lama. " They did not give us a chance to get our teeth into the match. We were on our heels from the get go."
The No. 64 Mean Green was overwhelmed by the nationally-rank Owls who took the match 4-0. This was the second time in the past four years North Texas was stopped from advancing to the champion final.
"I am proud of our team for the fight and grit they showed all year long," Lama said. This is a young team that grew together and overcame a lot of challenges. We will take a lot of positives into next year."
In singles play, Kamilla Galivea took on No.91 Katherine Ip at the No. 3 spot, falling, 6-0, 6-0, which gave Rice the first point of the match.
The No. 101 nationally-rank Owl, Dominique Harmath, earned the next match point. She defeated North Texas freshman Anastasiya Shestakova at the No. 2 spot.
North Texas then fell at the No. 1 and No. 4 spots, completing post-season play at the C-USA Championships.
The Mean Green ended the 2014 season with an 11-11 record and assembled a 2-1 record in conference play.
1. Natalie Beazant (RICE) def. Kseniya Bardabush (NT) 6-3, 6-0
2. #101 Dominique Harmath (RICE) def. Anastasiya Shestakova (NT) 6-0, 6-2
3. #91 Katherine Ip (RICE) def. Kamilla Galieva (NT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Liat Zimmermann (RICE) def. Agustina Valenzuela (NT) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kimberly Anicete (RICE) vs. Alexis Thoma (NT) 1-0, unfinished
6. Alison Ho (RICE) vs. Franziska Sprinkmeyer (NT) unfinished
Order of finish: Singles (3,2,1,4)