Mean Green Take Care Of Business In Singles, Win 4-1
Kononova Sets Program Record For Singles Wins
April 1, 2017
MEMPHIS, TN -- Despite losing the doubles point, the North Texas tennis team rallied to defeat Memphis Saturday morning 4-1.
Trailing 1-0 in singles, the Mean Green (7-11) won the first three singles matches to flip the script and take a 3-1 lead. With momentum on their side, North Texas freshman Alexandra Heczey clinched the win over Memphis (10-6) at the No. 4 spot with a 6-4, 6-4 victory.
Shortly before the match was clinched, Mean Green sophomore Maria Kononova won 7-6, 6-0 to capture her 15th victory of the season, which is a program record for singles wins in the spring. The No. 61 ranked ITA player has won six straight matches and nine of her last 10. It is her second six match winning streak of the season. She is now 15-2 on the year.
Sophomore Tamuna Kutubidze was the first Mean Green player to win in singles. Kutubidze won at No. 2 6-2, 6-1.
Winning for the eighth time in her last 10 matches was the Mean Green's Minying Liang. At the No. 5 spot, the sophomore from China won in straight sets 6-4, 6-2.
The only singles match to go to a third set was at No. 6, where freshman Ivana Babic dropped the first set 7-6 but stormed back in the second set to win 6-0 and send the match to a third set, which was eventually unfinished.
At No. 3, senior Alexis Thoma's match also went unfinished and was stopped in the second set.
North Texas returns home on April 13 for its final home match of the season. The Mean Green face SMU at 5 p.m. CT.
MEAN GREEN QUICK HITTERS
Kononova and Kutubidze are now 13-0 on the season at No. 1 doubles
- Maria Kononova/Tamuna Kutubidze (NT) def. Gabrielle Paul/Josephine Cao (MEMPHIS) 6-2
- Marta Morga/Katherine Cao (MEMPHIS) def. Alexandra Heczey/Alexis Thoma (NT) 6-2
- Hanna Sohn/Clara Kuehn (MEMPHIS) def. Minying Liang/Ivana Babic (NT) 6-4
- #61 Maria Kononova (NT) def. Hanna Sohn (MEMPHIS) 7-6, 6-0
- Tamuna Kutubidze (NT) def. Gabrielle Paul (MEMPHIS) 6-2, 6-1
- Marta Morga (MEMPHIS) vs. Alexis Thoma (NT) 5-7, 4-2, unfinished
- Alexandra Heczey (NT) def. Katherine Cao (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 6-4
- Minying Liang (NT) def. Josephine Cao (MEMPHIS) 6-4, 6-2
- Clara Kuehn (MEMPHIS) vs. Ivana Babic (NT) 7-6, 0-6, 1-0, unfinished