No. 55 North Texas Falls To No. 38 Memphis
The Mean Green Ended Its Three Game Winning Streak
March 29, 2014
DENTON, Texas - The 55th nationally-ranked North Texas tennis team fell to No. 38 Memphis 6-1, Saturday, Mar. 29, ending the Mean Green’s three game win-streak at the Waranch Tennis Complex.
“Memphis played really well and I thought we did a good job of staying with them in doubles,” said head coach Sujay Lama. “When they won the doubles point we knew we had our work cut out of us in singles. I thought our effort was great throughout the match, they just had more depth, especially at the bottom of the lineup.”
The Mean Green fell to the Lady Tigers 6-1, earning its only point at the No. 1 singles spot. Kseniya Bardabush fought to the very end where she defeated her opponent from Memphis in a tiebreaker, 6-3, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (10-7).
In doubles play, the North Texas duo of Bardabush and Franziska Sprinkmeyer were the first to finish, winning their match 8-1. Memphis then won the doubles point after defeating the Mean Green at the No.2 and No.3 spots.
“I think this was a good match in preparation for UTA, which will be a tough one,” Lama said. “Now our focus is on the upcoming match.”
North Texas continues its homestand Wednesday, Apr. 2, at 3 p.m. against the UTA Mavericks.
1. Kseniya Bardabush (UNT) def. Skylar Kuykendall (MEM) 6-3, 6-7 (4), 1-0 (10-7)
2. Caroline Wegner (MEM) def. Anastasiya Shestakova (UNT) 6-2, 6-4
3. Stefanie Mikesz (MEM) def. Agustina Valenzuela (UNT) 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-4)
4. Marta Morga (MEM) def. Alexis Thoma (UNT) 6-1, 6-3
5. Anki Wind (MEM) def. Franziska Sprinkmeyer (UNT) 6-1, 6-0
6. Liza Tymchenko (MEM) def. Ana Sofia Cordero (UNT) 6-3, 6-2
1. Franziska Sprinkmeyer/Kseniya Bardabush (UNT) def. Caroline Wegner/Stefanie Mikesz (MEM) 8-1
2. Marta Morga/Anki Wind (MEM) def. Alexis Thoma/Agustina Valenzuela (UNT) 8-4
3. Skylar Kuykendall/Liza Tymchenko (MEM) def. Dane Joubert/Anastasiya Shestakova (UNT) 8-5
Memphis 12-7; National ranking #38
North Texas 8-9; National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,4,6,2,3,1)