LAFAYETTE, La. (3/17/13) - The Mean Green tennis team cruise to a 4-0 win over Louisiana-Lafayette on Sunday at the Cajun Courts.
"This was one of our better performances," head coach Sujay Lama said. "We had great energy and played freely. From the first point, we were on the offense."
North Texas (10-4, 4-0), who moved to 4-0 in the Sun Belt, won the doubles point for the third straight match.
Valentina Starkova and Barbora Vykydalova defeated ULL's Sophie Van den Aarssen and Sandra Ahlqvist, 8-2, in the No. 1 doubles position. Dané Joubert and Ilona Serchenko defeated ULL's Bailey VanDyke and Hannah Appleyard, 8-4, in the No. 3 spot.
"Our top three players really stepped up this weekend," Lama added. "When they are on top of their game, the whole teams feeds of their confidence and attitude."
Kseniya Bardabush defeated Van den Aarssen dropping only two games in a 6-2, 6-0 victory at the No. 1 singles position. Starkova defeated Ahlqvist, 6-1; 6-3, at the No. 3 singles position.
Vykydalova dropped only three games on her way to defeating Nicole Breaux, 6-2; 6-1, and clinching the match for North Texas.
The Mean Green returns to Denton to host Columbia on Saturday, March 23, at the Waranch Tennis Complex.
North Texas 4, Louisiana-Lafayette 0
Mar 17, 2013
1.>Kseniya Bardabush (NT) def. Sophie Van den Aarssen (UL) 6-2, 6-0
2. Barbora Vykydalova (NT) def. Nicole Breaux (UL) 6-2, 6-1
3. Valentina Starkova (NT) def. Sandra Ahlqvist (UL) 6-1, 6-3
4. Melissa Burckhartt (UL) vs. Franziska Sprinkmeyer (NT) 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
5. Bailey VanDyke (UL) vs. Ilona Serchenko (NT) 6-7, 1-2, unfinished
6. Hannah Appleyard (UL) vs. Agustina Valenzuela (NT) 3-6, 1-4, unfinished
1. Starkova/Vykydalova (NT) def. Van den Aarssen/Ahlqvist (UL) 8-2
2. Breaux/Burckhartt (UL) vs. Sprinkmeyer/Bardabush (NT) 2-6, unfinished
3. Joubert/Serchenko (NT) def. VanDyke/Appleyard (UL) 8-4
Order of Finish
North Texas: 10-4