MIAMI. Fla. - Mean Green tennis fell to the 61st ranked Golden Panther of FIU Tuesday afternoon on the campus of Florida International University.
FIU (8-5) jumped on top North Texas (3-9) early, taking two of the three doubles and claiming the first point of the match.
"We ran into a team that is on a roll and full of confidence," said head coach Sujay Lama. "We will put this behind us and prepare for South Alabama. The important thing is for us to put wins together so we can regain our swagger."
After dropping the match at the No. 1 doubles slot, senior Madura Ranganathan and junior transfer Nadia Lee squared the race for the doubles point as they defeated Christine Seredni and Giulietta Boha in a close 8-6 match.
The Golden Panthers would then capture the third line doubles and the point.
Singles saw Senior Amy Joubert claim the only victory for the Mean Green from the No. 6 slot as she downed Boha in straight sets 6-4, 6-2.
Irina Paraschiv had her six match winning streak snapped Tuesday when No. 81 Liset Brito swept through her in a convincing 6-1, 6-0 decision.
North Texas will be back in action Thursday morning in Miami, Fla., when it takes on the Jaguars of South Alabama.
Tennis Match Results
North Texas vs FIU Panthers
Mar 15, 2011 at Miami, Fla.
#61 FIU Panthers 6, North Texas 1
1. #81 Brito, Liset (FIU) def. Irina Parschiv (NT) 6-0, 6-1
2. Johnson, Lisa (FIU) def. Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 6-0, 6-3
3. Seredni, Christine (FIU) def. Paula Dinuta (NT) 6-2, 6-3
4. Spenceley, Maria (FIU) def. Madura Ranganathan (NT) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
5. Maisak, Rita (FIU) def. Nadia Lee (NT) 7-6 (10-3), 6-2
6. Amy Joubert (NT) def. Boha, Giulietta (FIU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Brito, Liset/Spenceley, Maria (FIU) def. Irina Parschiv/Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 8-4
2. Madura Ranganathan/Nadia Lee (NT) def. Seredni, Christine/Boha, Giulietta (FIU) 8-6
3. Johnson, Lisa/Maisak, Rita (FIU) def. Amy Joubert/Paula Dinuta (NT) 8-5
North Texas 3-9
FIU Panthers 8-5; National ranking #61
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,6,5,4)