Mean Green's Top Lineup Shines in Loss To Middle Tennessee
North Texas Loses 4-3 To Blue Raiders
DENTON — The North Texas tennis team lost to Middle Tennessee Wednesday afternoon 4-3.
One through three in the Mean Green’s (4-8) singles lineup earned straight set victories but loses in the bottom three of the lineup and the doubles point were the deal breakers against the Blue Raiders (11-4).
For the second straight match, North Texas’ No. 1 singles player, Maria Kononova, was out of the singles lineup. Fellow junior, Tamuna Kutubidze, filled in nicely, however, taking down her Blue Raider opponent in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, to earn her sixth dual match victory of the year, which leads the team. Kutubidze moved up from the second spot in the lineup to the first and is now 2-0 this season at the No. 1 position.
Also moving up in the lineup was junior Minying Liang. Playing at the No. 2 position for the third time this year, Liang won her first set tiebreaker and carried the momentum of the win into the second set where she won 6-4 to win her singles match, 7-6(7-3), 6-4.
With the lineup change, Alexandra Heczey played at the No. 3 position in the lineup for the first time this year. Heczey, like Liang, also won her first set tiebreaker 7-3 and cruised in her second set to win her first singles match of the year, 7-6(7-3), 6-3.
The Mean Green fall to 2-2 in conference matches.
The Mean Green head west to California to face Wichita State on Saturday in Palm Springs, California. The match will begin at noon central time.
1. Tamuna Kutubidze (NT) def. M. Josefina Zehnder (MT) 6-4, 6-1
2. Minying Liang (NT) def. Costanza Magazzini (MT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
3. Alexandra Heczey (NT) def. Kim Kermet (MT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
4. Lidia Burrows (MT) def. Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. Zani Barnard (MT) def. Haruka Sasaki (NT) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lee Barnard (MT) def. Ivana Babic (NT) 6-2, 6-4
1. Luisa Zirilli/Kim Kermet (MT) def. Tamuna Kutubidze/Alexandra Heczey (NT) 6-2
2. Lee Barnard/Zani Barnard (MT) def. Maria Kononova/Minying Liang (NT) 6-4
3. Haruka Sasaki/Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) vs. Marta Peris Herrero/Costanza Magazzini (MT) 4-3, unfinished