ATLANTA, Ga. (3/2/13) - The Mean Green tennis team (7-3, 2-0) bounced back from back-to-back loses to defeat Miami of Ohio (4-8), 4-3, Saturday afternoon.
"Playing four matches in seven days was a great challenge for us," head coach Sujay Lama said. "We definitely learned a lot and grew up as a team. This experience will certainly help us down the road."
Senior duo Valentina Starkova and Barbora Vykydalova started the match off right defeating Alix Thurman and Christine Guerrazzi, 8-1, in the No. 1 doubles position.
Then Dané Joubert and Ilona Serchenko defeated Nimisha Mohan and Chloe Heerden, 8-2, at the No. 3 doubles spot to give North Texas a 1-0 advantage.
Serchenko defeated Heerden, 6-3; 6-1, in the No. 6 singles spot before Starkova fell to Miami (Oh)'s Mohan, 6-4; 6-1 in the No. 3 singles spot. Agustina Valenzuela defeated Ana Rajkovic in straight sets, 6-3; 6-4, giving North Texas a 3-1 lead.
Miami (Oh) took the next two singles games to bring the score to a 3-3 tie. The match came down to Kseniya Bardabush and Christiana Raymond in the No. 1 singles slot.
Kseniya Bardabush defeated Raymond in a dramatic three set thriller. Bardabush took the first set then dropped the second set. Bardabush made a comeback from 5-2 to win 7-6 and give North Texas the victory.
"That was some come back by Kseniya," Lama added. "She had to dig deep and found a way at the end to bring us the victory over a team that plays very well indoors."
North Texas returns to Denton to host No. 28 Tulsa on Saturday, March 9, at 2 p.m. at the Waranch Tennis Complex.
No. 47 North Texas 4, Miami (Oh) 3
Ken Byers Tennis Complex
1. Kseniya Bardabush (NT) def. C. Raymond (Miami-OH) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (1)
2. A. Thurman (Miami-OH) def .Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 6-1, 7-6 (1), 6-4
3. N. Mohan (Miami-OH) def. Valentina Starkova (NT) 6-4, 6-1
4. C. Guerrazzi (Miami-OH) def. Franziska Sprinkmeyer (NT) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
5. Agustina Valenzuela (NT) def. A. Rajkovic (Miami-OH) 6-3, 6-4
6. Ilona Serchenko (NT) def. C. Heerden (Miam-OH) 6-3, 6-1
1. Starkova/Vykydalova (NT) def. A. Thurman/C. Guerrazzi (Miami-OH) 8-1
2. Bardabush/Sprinkmeyer (NT) led A. Rajkovic/C. Raymond (Miami-OH) 5-3, unf.
3. Joubert/Serchenko (NT) def. N. Mohan/C. Heerden (Miami-OH) 8-2
Order of finish:
Singles: 6, 3, 5, 2, 4, 1
Doubles: 1, 3, 2
North Texas: 7-3
Miami (Oh): 4-8