DENTON, Texas (2/27/13) - No. 47 North Texas (6-2, 2-0) saw its six game win streak snapped today when it lost to cross-town rival No. 20 TCU (7-1), 4-2.
"It was two good teams battling hard and not giving an inch," head coach Sujay Lama said. "Hats off to TCU, they dug deep and played well to win some close matches at the end. I told the ladies, no regrets because our effort was outstanding. We'll learn from this match and get better."
The Mean Green won the doubles point to take an early 1-0 lead. Doubles duo Ilona Serchenko and Dané Joubert defeated Gabby Barbosa and Simona Parajova, 8-2, in the No. 3 spot before sophomores Kseniya Bardabush and Franziska Sprinkmeyer defeated Federica Denti and Kelsey Sundaram, 9-7, in the No. 2 spot.
"We played outstanding doubles today," Lama added. "Dané and Ilona played perhaps the best match I have see them play together. We need to keep it up and continue playing this attacking style."
No. 50 nationally ranked Olivia Smith defeated current SBC Player of the Week Valentina Starkova in straight sets, 6-2; 6-2, to tie the match at 1-1. Barbora Vykydalova defeated No. 95 nationally ranked Simona Parajova 6-1, 7-6 to give the Mean Green the lead at 2-1.
North Texas then dropped the No. 4 and 5 singles position matches to give TCU a 3-2 lead with just two matches remaining.
No. 54 nationally ranked Stefanie Tan clinched the win for the Horned Frogs defeating Kseniya Bardabush in straight sets, 7-5; 7-6, in the No. 1 singles position.
The Mean Green travels to Atlanta, Ga., to take on Georgia Tech Friday, March 1, at 4 p.m.
No. 20 TCU 4, No. 47 North Texas 2
February 27, 2013
Waranch Tennis Complex
1. Stefanie Tan def. Kseniya Bardabush 7-5, 6-4
2. Olivia Smith def. Valentina Starkova 6-2, 6-2
3. Barbora Vykydalova def. Simona Parajova 6-1, 7-6
4. Millie Nichols def. Ilona Serchenko 7-5, 7-5
5. Federica Denti def. Franziska Sprinkmeyer 7-5, 6-0
6. Agustina Valenzuela vs. Kelsey Sundaram 6-4, 4-6, 2-3 (unfinished)
1. Smith/Nichols def. Starkova/Vykydalova 8-3
2. Bardabush/Sprinkmeyer def. Denti/Sundaram 9-7
3. Joubert/Serchenko def. Barbosa/Parajova 8-2
Order of Finish
Doubles: 3, 1, 2
Singles: 2, 3, 5, 4, 1, 6 (unf.)
North Texas: 6-2