Feb. 21, 2014
TULSA, Okla. -The North Texas tennis team faced No. 23 Tulsa in their first Conference USA match of the season, but could not hold off the Golden Hurricane as they took the match 4-2.
“We fought hard today and gave ourselves a chance to pull and upset,” said head coach Sujay Lama. “Our inexperience was the difference towards the end.”
In singles play, North Texas freshman Anastasiya Shestakova defeated Tulsa’s Isaura Enrique, 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 2 spot. Agustina Valenzuela continued her winning streak for the Mean Green with her 6-4, 6-3 victory over Tulsa’s Maria Sant'Anna.
In doubles play, the Mean Green was defeated 8-3 by the by the No. 1 and No. 3 duo’s from Tulsa.
“We have a quick recovery to play a good Kansas State team tomorrow,” Lama said.
The Mean Green will face No. 52 Kansas State Feb. 22 at noon. The series between K-State and North Texas is tied 3-3, with the Mean Green winning in 2012.
1. #69 Samantha Vickers (TLS) def. Kseniya Bardabush (UNT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Anastasiya Shestakova (UNT) def. Isaura Enrique (TLS) 6-2, 6-3
3. #94 Yelena Nemchen (TLS) vs. Kamilla Galieva (UNT) 6-3, 6-5, unfinished
4. Agustina Valenzuela (UNT) def. Maria Sant'Anna (TLS) 6-4, 6-3
5. Renata Kuricova (TLS) def. Alexis Thoma
(UNT) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Marcelina Cichon (TLS) def. Ana Sofia Cordero (UNT) 6-1, 6-1
1. Samantha Vickers/Isaura Enrique (TLS) vs. Anastasiya Shestakov/Kseniya Bardabush (UNT) 5-5, unfinished
2. Maria Sant'Anna/Dobby Leenabanchong (TLS) def. Kamilla Galieva/Alexis Thoma (UNT) 8-3
3. Renata Kuricova/Marcelina Cichon (TLS) def. Danè Joubert/Agustina Valenzuela (UNT) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,4,2,5)