Mean Green Lose 6-1 To Kansas State
North Texas Drops The Doubles Point
DENTON – The North Texas tennis team fell to Kansas State 6-1 on Friday afternoon at the Waranch Tennis Complex.
The Wildcats (5-3) took the doubles point over the Mean Green (2-5) and used the momentum to win four consecutive singles matches and five of the six overall.
“Doubles was a huge momentum swing for Kansas State,” head coach Sujay Lama said. “They had more energy and put the pressure on us early. We took leads in all six singles matches so if we finish those off it gives us the momentum we needed.”
Sophomores Maria Kononova and Tamuna Kutubidze reached match point on court one, but the game went unfinished with Millie Stretton/Ana Garcia Nevas and Iva Bago/Livia Cirnu winning 6-1 and 6-2, respectively. Kononova and Kutubidze remain undefeated in doubles play to start the 2017 season.
In spot No. 1, Kononova defeated Carolina Costamagna, 7-6 (3), 5-7, 6-0, for North Texas’ lone singles win. It was her sixth straight singles victory at No. 1.
The Mean Green battled back from first set deficits on each of the other five courts and had a chance to put together a string of wins to capture momentum, but Kansas State wouldn’t break.
“You’ve got to give Kansas State credit because they fought and didn’t give up,” Lama said. “We had a battle out there and I was pleased with how we responded.
North Texas hosts Washington State on Sunday and Lama knows that early vigor will be the key to earning a win against the Pac 12 foe.
“We have to play with more energy,” Lama said. “We shouldn’t be reacting to the opponent, but rather make the opponent react to us.”
North Texas hosts Washington State on Sunday at 12:00 p.m. CST.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
- Heczey ended her three match winning streak
- Thoma ended her two match winning streak
- Kononova (NT) def. Costamagna (KSU); 7-6 (3), 5-7, 6-0
- Stretton (KSU) def. Kutubidze (NT); 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
- Mesquita (KSU) def. Thoma (NT); 1-6, 6-7 (7)
- Garcia Nevas (KSU) def. Liang (NT); 6-3, 1-6, 1-6
- Cirnu (KSU) def. Sasaki (NT); 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
- Panaite (KSU) def. Heczey (NT); 6-4, 4-6, 6-7 (4)
- Kutubidze/Kononova (NT) vs. Costamagna/Mesquita (KSU); 5-3 (unfinished)
- Stretton/Garcia Navas (KSU) def. Babic/Heczey (NT); 6-1
- Bago/Cirnu (KSU) def. Liang/Arciniegas (NT); 6-2