Tennis Edges Out South Alabama To Move To 5-1
No. 56 North Texas won its fifth-straight after battling back from an early deficit to beat South Alabama, 4-3, Sunday afternoon in Mobile, Ala.
MOBILE, Ala. (2/17/13) - No. 56 North Texas won its fifth-straight after battling back from an early deficit to beat South Alabama, 4-3, Sunday afternoon in Mobile, Ala.
"We were challenged again today but I was pleased with the way we responded," head coach Sujay Lama said after the win. "It's no fun losing the doubles point and digging a hole but on the other hand it's important to experience it now to see how much fight we have and the kind of character this team has."
The Mean Green overcame the lost doubles point to win four straight singles points on the way to clinching the match.
Senior Valentina Starkova led the team defeating Ramona Ghermani in straight sets, 6-0, 6-1, in the No. 3 singles slot to bring the score to 1-1. Fellow senior Ilona Serchenko bested Cinta Papke 6-2, 6-1 in the No. 4 singles slot.
In the No. 5 singles slot, sophomore Franziska Sprinkmeyer defeated Mariya Krachok 6-4, 6-1. The Mean Green now led South Alabama 3-1. Next sophomore Kseniya Bardabush defeated Emily Newton 7-5, 6-1 in the singles No. 1 position to give North Texas the four points to clinch the match.
"We'll get back to work on Tuesday and work on getting our mojo back in doubles," Lama said. "The key is to continue improving and learning each day."
The Mean Green will face No. 33 Arizona at the Waranch Tennis Complex in Denton, Texas on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 11 a.m.
No. 56 North Texas 4, South Alabama 3
Feb. 17, 2013
Bruce David Lubel Memorial Tennis Courts
1. Kseniya Bardabush (NT) def. Emily Newton (South Alabama) 7-5; 6-1
2. Mchaela Meszarosova (South Alabama) def. Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 1-6; 6-3; 6-4
3. Valentina Starkova (NT) def. Ramona Ghermani (South Alabama) 6-0; 6-2
4. Ilona Serchenko (NT) def. Cinta Papke (South Alabama) 6-2; 6-1
5. Franziska Sprinkmeyer (NT) def. Mariya Krachok (South Alabama) 6-4; 6-1
6. Mary Angela Martin (South Alabama) def. Agustina Valenzuela (NT) 6-4; 3-6; 10-5
1. Newton/Meszarosova (South Alabama) def. Bardabush/Sprinkmeyer (NT) 8-6
2. Ghermani/Krachok (South Alabama) def. Starkova/Vykydalova (NT) 8-6
3. Papke/Martin (South Alabama) vs. Joubert/Serchenko (NT) 5-7, unfinished
Order of Finish:
Singles: 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 6
Doubles: 2, 1
North Texas 5-1
South Alabama 4-1