MOBILE, Ala. (2/16/13) - No. 56 North Texas tennis team won its first conference game today, defeating FIU 5-2 at the Bruce David Lubel Memorial Tennis Courts on the campus of the University of South Alabama.
"The conditions were tough today with the wind and it didn't help the way we came out to play doubles," head coach Sujay Lama said after the game. "It was not pretty but some times you have to learn to win ugly. What we do have constant is the leadership from our seniors. They are gritty and they set the tone for the team and the younger ones follow.
The Mean Green dropped the doubles point for the fist time this season losing two-of-three. Senior Ilona Serchenko and freshman Dané Joubert won the lone double match defeating Lotte Gras and Magali Holt 8-2.
North Texas powered back to win the first four singles matches. Freshman Agustina Valenzuela defeated Holt in the No. 6 singles slot in two sets 6-1; 6-0 to be the first match complete.
Senior Barbora Vykydalova defeated Rita Maisak 6-2; 6-1 in the singles No. 2 slot. Then sophomore Franziska Sprinkmeyer defeated Lotte Gras in straight sets 6-2; 6-1 in the singles No. 5 singles slot.
Senior Ilona Serchenko clinched the win for North Texas defeating Giulietta Boha 6-3; 6-1 in the No. 4 slot while sophomore Kseniya Bardabush dropped her match in the No. 1 slot losing to Carlotta Orlando 4-6; 6-4; 10-6. Senior Valentina Starkova defeated Aleksandra Trifunovic in three sets 6-4; 4-6; 10-5.
"We have to step it up tomorrow against South Alabama," Lama added. "I know our ladies are looking forward to the challenge. Today's match will definitely help us prepare for tomorrow and to have a better start."
North Texas returns to action tomorrow to face South Alabama at 11 a.m. in Mobile, Ala.
No. 56 North Texas 5, FIU 2
February 16, 2013
Bruce David Lubel Memorial Tennis Courts
1. Carlotta Orlando (FIU) def. Kseniya Bardabush 4-6; 6-4; 10-6
2. Barbora Vykydalova def. Rita Maisak (FIU) 6-2; 6-1
3. Valentina Starkova def. Aleksandra Trifunovic (FIU) 6-4; 4-6; 10-5
4. Ilona Serchenko def. Giulietta Boha (FIU) 6-3; 6-1
5. Franziska Sprinkmeyer def. Lotte Gras 6-2; 6-1
6. Agustina Valenzuela def. Magali Holt 6-1; 6-0
1. Maisak/Trifunovic (FIU) def. Bardabush/Sprinkmeyer 8-5
2. Botta/Orlando (FIU) def. Starkova/Vykydalova 8-5
3. Joubert/Serchenko def. Gras/Holt (FIU) 8-2
Order of Finish:
6, 2, 5, 4, 1, 3
3, 1, 2
North Texas: 4-1