Mean Green Lose 7-0 At Oklahoma
Kutubidze Loses Her First Match
NORMAN, OK. -- The North Texas tennis team lost 7-0 to Oklahoma Wednesday afternoon.
The Mean Green's Tamuna Kutubidze ended her five-match winning streak and lost her first match of the season. With the loss, North Texas falls to 3-4 on the year and Kutubidze is now still an impressive 5-1.
"We are very disappointed with our showing today," said head coach Sujay Lama. "We were flat and just did not compete the way we have been competing this spring. We might have been a little fatigued from all the travel but we have to be mentally tougher to overcome it."
Wednesday's match was the Mean Green's third match away from Denton in five days.
The match began with OU (3-4) claiming the doubles point over North Texas (3-4) and then picking up straight set victories on every singles court.
In doubles, North Texas lost on courts one and three.
For the second consecutive match, the Mean Green did not have Kutubidze and Maria Kononova paired at No. 1 in doubles. Instead, Kutubidze and Alexandra Heczey were together at No. 1. The doubles team lost 6-2 in what was the clinching match. Kononova and her doubles partner Nidhi Surapaneni had their match go unfinished with a score of 4-3.
Kononova was the second Mean Green tennis player to lose in singles. The No. 48 nationally ranked Kononova lost 6-1, 6-3 to the Sooners' Lily Miyazaki who is ranked No. 18 in the country.
Kononova beat Miyazaki in straight sets last year when Miyazaki was ranked No. 16 in the country.
The clinching match came at No. 2 where Kutubidze lost 6-3, 6-2 to the Sooners Jasmine Asghar. Kutubidze had begun the season 5-0, her best start in her three years of college.
North Texas' Minying Liang and Surapaneni came close to winning a set. Both took a set to a 7-6 tiebreaker but lost in the tiebreaker. Liang came the closest with a 7-5 tiebreaking score.
The Mean Green are off until Friday, Feb. 23 when they host C-USA foe Florida International at 2:00 p.m. CT at the Waranch Tennis Complex.
"The good thing is we have a few days to recover and work on the areas we have struggled with," Lama said. "It will be good to come back home and play. We have huge conference matches to get excited about."
1. Christiana Brigante/Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Tamuna Kutubidze/Alexandra Heczey (NT) 6-2
2. Malene Stripp/Skyler Miller (OU) vs. Maria Kononova/Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 4-3, unfinished
3. Camila Romero/Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) def. Minying Liang/Haruka Sasaki (NT) 6-0
1. #18 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. #48 Maria Kononova (NT) 6-1, 6-3
2. Jasmine Asghar (OU) def. Tamuna Kutubidze (NT) 6-3, 6-2
3. Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Minying Liang (NT) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
4. Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) def. Sille Tranberg (NT) 6-1, 6-0
5. Camila Romero (OU) def. Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Malene Stripp (OU) def. Haruka Sasaki (NT) 6-3, 6-2