Kutubidze Remains Unbeaten But North Texas Falls to K-State
Kutubidze Improves To 4-0
MANHATTAN, KS. — Tamuna Kutubidze continued her hot start to the 2018 season with a straight-set victory over her Kansas State opponent Friday afternoon to remain undefeated on the year.
However, Kutubidze’s win was the Mean Green’s only win as they fell 4-1 to the Wildcats in Manhattan, Kansas.
North Texas (3-2) opened the match with a sour doubles-point loss to the Wildcats (3-1), which included the Mean Green’s No. 1 doubles team falling 6-3.
“We have got to get going in doubles,” said head coach Sujay Lama. “Against a good team like Kansas State it’s not an easy task to get out of the hole.”
After starting in a 1-0 hole to K-State, the deficit grew even bigger when four of the six Mean Green singles players lost their first set.
One of the two that won their first set was Kutubidze. The junior, who improved to 4-0 on the year, came out firing and won her opening set 6-1. The second-set was much closer, but the resilient Kutubdize once again showed her fight as she battled back-and-forth with the Wildcats’ Rosanna Maffel in the second set. However, once again Kutbidze came out on top with a 7-5 second-set victory to narrow the overall score gap.
The Mean Green, though, fell behind 3-1 after the No. 48 nationally ranked singles player Maria Kononova fell in her third-set to lose, 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.
K-State clinched the match at No. 4 where North Texas’ Sille Tranberg lost 6-3, 6-2.
North Texas will have to put Friday’s match behind them quickly as they return to the court on Saturday to face Washington State in Manhattan, Kansas.
“We have the talent and the ability to get it right and we will,” Lama said. “Our focus is now on preparing for another tough match on Saturday. It’s a great opportunity and we are excited about the challenge.”
1. Margot Decker (KSU) def. #48 Maria Kononova (NT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2. Tamuna Kutubidze (NT) def. Rosanna Maffei (KSU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Maria Linares (KSU) def. Minying Liang (NT) 6-1, 7-5
4. Carolina Costamagna (KSU) def. Sille Tranberg (NT) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ines Mesquita (KSU) vs. Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
6. Anna Turco (KSU) vs. Haruka Sasaki (NT) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
1. Carolina Costamagna/Margot Decker (KSU) def. Maria Kononova/Tamuna Kutubidze (NT) 6-3
2. Maria Linares/Ines Mesquita (KSU) def. Ivana Babic/Alexandra Heczey (NT) 6-0
3. Rosanna Maffei/Anna Turco (KSU) vs. Minying Liang/Nidhi Surapaneni (NT) 4-3, unfinished