Mean Green Sweeps Lady Jacks for First Win
Doubles Team Propels Tennis Over SFA, 4-0
DENTON -- Looks like all the North Texas tennis team needed to get its first win of the season was a little home cooking. The Mean Green swept Stephen F. Austin January 28 by a score of 4-0 at the Waranch Tennis Complex to improve to 1-2 on the season and finally get the monkey off its back.
"It was good to finally play at home and get a win," head coach Sujay Lama said. "We have a veteran group that prepares well and competes hard every single time. It was just a matter of time we would find our winning ways."
North Texas began the afternoon by sweeping the doubles matches. Ana Sofia Cordero and Agustina Valenzuela led off with a 6-2 win over Vivienne Kulicke and Valeria Terentyeva, then top pair Kseniya Bardabush and Franziska Sprinkmeyer claimed the doubles point with a 7-5 victory over Malena Gordo and Dhanielly Quevedo. It was the first doubles point the team has claimed so far this season.
Then the Mean Green went to work against the Lady Jacks in singles play. Bardabush swept Denise Maxl by a score of 6-1, 6-1 and Cordero took care of Macarena Acosta with a 6-3, 6-1 decision. With North Texas leading 3-0, Alexis Thoma edged out Terentyeva by a score of 6-3, 7-5 to close out the day and blank SFA.
"Winning the doubles point was huge and we did a good job of finishing the job," Lama explained. "It helped us be better offensively in singles."
With a win under its belt, the Mean Green travel to Albuquerque, New Mexico, this weekend for a pair of matches. First will be a neutral site match against Nevada January 31 at 12 p.m., then the second will be against the Lobos February 1 at 11 a.m.
1. Bardabush/Sprinkmeyer defeat Gordo/Quevedo, 7-5
2. Shestakova/Thoma vs. Maxl/Acosta goes unfinished, 6-5
3. Cordero/Valenzuela defeat Kulicke/Terentyeva, 6-2
1. Bardabush defeats Maxl, 6-1, 6-1
2. Shestakova vs. Gordo goes unfinished, 6-4, 5-6
3. Thoma defeats Terentyeva, 6-3, 7-5
4. Valenzuela vs. Kulicke goes unfinished, 6-7 (2), 6-3, 1-1
5. Sprinkmeyer vs. Quevedo goes unfinished, 6-7 (6), 6-2, 0-1
6. Cordero defeats Acosta, 6-3, 6-1