Mean Green Tennis Heads Into Consolation Finals After Falling To No.6 USC
North Texas Will Take On No.58 Utah In The Consolation Finals
Jan. 24, 2014
LOS ANGELES -The North Texas tennis team will compete in the consolation finals against No.58 Utah after falling to No.6 USC in the opening day of the ITA Kick-Off weekend.
“The Mean Green played much better today,” said associate head coach Jeff Hammond. “We kept fighting on every court. Today was a respectable loss to a well-coached and classy program. We are very young, but in just two weeks there has been incredible growth.”
In singles play, sophomore Agustina Valenzuela put up a fight against USC’s Guiliana Olmos (No.60) but fell 6-1, 6-2; the Mean Green fell 4-0 to the Trojans due to suspended play.
“We are looking forward to a long hard battle tomorrow with Utah,” Hammond said.
The consolation final will begin at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 25.
1. Christian/Santamaria No.33 (USC) def. Galieva/Shestakova (UNT), 6-1 (finished second)
2. Scandalis/Olmos No.7 (USC) def. Valenzuela/Joubert (UNT), 6-0 (finished first)
3. Katz/Yates (USC) vs. Cordero/Thoma (UNT), suspended at 4-1
USC wins doubles point
1. Santamaria No.13 (USC) vs. Shestakova (UNT), suspended at 6-3, 5-1
2. Scandalis (USC) vs. Galieva (UNT), suspended at 5-3
3. Olmos No.60 (USC) def. Valenzuela (UNT), 6-1, 6-2 (finished second)
4. DeSimone (USC) vs. Thoma(UNT), 6-4, 3-0
5. Yates (USC) def. Cordero (UNT), 6-3, 6-0 (finished third)
6. Christian (USC) def. Joubert (UNT), 6-0, 6-0 (finished first)