Mean Green Fall At No. 5 Oklahoma State
North Texas Opens Dual Season With Loss
STILLWATER, OK. — The North Texas women’s tennis team lost its season opener at No. 5 Oklahoma State 7-0 Saturday morning.
The Mean Green received strong contributions from all eight women, especially sophomores Maria Kononova and Laura Arciniegas.
"This was a great opportunity to compete against one of the best teams in the nation," said head coach Sujay Lama. "I thought we put forth a good effort and competed hard. We gave ourselves a chance in several spots but the difference was their execution on big points."
Paired up with freshman Alexandra Heczey in doubles at the No. 1 spot, the two took a 4-3 lead against the No. 11 team in country, however, the match was called after the Cowgirls won the doubles point by winning on No. 2 and No. 3.
Kononova and sophomore Tamuna Kutubidze defeated Tur Mari and Viktoriya Lushkova in in October (8-7(7-4)). Tur Mari and Lushkova were ranked No. 36 in the country at the time.
After losing the first set 1-6 to the No. 32 player in the country, Arciniegas fought back and sent the match to a super tiebreaker where she lost 2-10.
In singles at No. 1, Kononova took on Oklahoma State’s top nationally ranked player in No. 29 Vladica Babic. Kononova stayed close with Babic in the first set but lost 5-7 and then lost second set 1-6.
"There are lessons to be learned from this match," Lama said. "We'll get back to work tomorrow and prepare for two tough matches at home."
Mean Green host Michigan State at 1:00 p.m. on Jan. 28.
- #29 Vladica Babic (OKST) def. Maria Kononova (NT) 5-7, 1-6
- #68 Katarina Adamovic (OKST) def. Alexis Thoma (NT) 1-6, 4-6
- Aliona Bolsova (OKST) def. Minying Liang (NT) 1-6, 1-6
- #32 Carla Tur Mari (OKST) def. Laura Arciniegas (NT) 1-6, 6-4, 0-1 (2-10)
- Lena Ruppert (OKST) def. Haruka Sasaki (NT) 0-6, 0-6
- Katarina Stresnakova (OKST) def. Alexandra Heczey (NT) 2-6, 2-6
- #11 Vladica Babic/Carla Tur Mari (OKST) vs. Alexandra Heczey/Maria Kononova (NT) 4-3, unfinished
- #58 Sofia Blanco/Aliona Bolsova (OKST) def. Ivana Babic/Alexis Thoma (NT) 6-2
- Katarina Adamovic/Viktoriya Lushkova (OKST) def. Laura Arciniegas/Haruka Sasaki (NT) 6-0