July 9, 2014
DENTON - Three North Texas students were named Scholar Athlete of the Year honorees, announced by the Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky on Wednesday.
The Mean Green's Franziska Sprinkmeyer, Tom Kalisky and Krista Rossum were among the 18 student-athletes who received the award.
The C-USA Scholar Athlete of the Year awards is presented to the top student-athletes in each conference-sponsored sport. The award is based on academic achievement (GPA), athletic achievement and service. North Texas had the second-highest number of student-athletes qualify with three behind Charlotte's five.
Sprinkmeyer, a native of Nordhorn, Germany, graduated summa cum laude in three years with a psychology major and Spanish minor. On the tennis court, she earned first-team all-conference honors in doubles with her 6-0 record at the No. 1 spot. She was a three-year member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council, which helped organize National Student-Athlete Day, National Girls and Women in Sports Day activities, the Rookie Round Up and a Halloween Carnival at Apogee Stadium.
Kalisky, a senior engineering major, finished the academic year with a 4.0 cumulative GPA. He was also a member of the C-USA Track & Field All-Academic Team. Kalisky's javelin throw of 64.02 meters at the UTEP Invitational made him the second all-time performer in North Texas history. He placed in the top-three three times during the 2014 outdoor season.
Rossum is a biochemistry major who accumulated a GPA of 3.936, earning a spot on the C-USA Swimming & Diving All-Academic Team. Her success did not stop in the classroom. She set a school record in the 400 IM and her NCAA B time of 4:18.39 earned runner-up honors at the University of Houston Invite, where she also recorded a program best in the 200IM (2:00.98). She accumulated eight individual wins in dual meets this past season.
2013-14 SCHOLAR ATHLETE AWARD WINNERS:
- Aramis Garcia, FIUMen's Basketball
- Ben Cherry, CharlotteWomen's Basketball
- Kimberly Smith, Florida AtlanticMen's Cross Country
- Zachary Greth, CharlotteWomen's Cross Country
- Brooke Kott, East CarolinaFootball
- Nate Leonard, UTSAMen's Golf
- Brett Patterson, Middle TennesseeWomen's Golf
- Camino Sardinero, UTEPWomen's Rowing
- Elizabeth Scherer, KansasMen's Soccer
- Tyler Gibson, CharlotteWomen's Soccer
- Tori Martyn, UTEPSoftball
- Jill Jelnick, East CarolinaWomen's Swimming & Diving
- Krista Rossum
, North TexasMen's Tennis
- Alex Calott, CharlotteWomen's Tennis
- Franziska Sprinkmeyer
, North TexasMen's Track and Field
- Tom Kalisky
, North TexasWomen's Track and Field
- Alexandria Phares, MarshallVolleyball
- Amanda Videmsek, Charlotte