North Texas Splits Dual Meets Against Incarnate Word, Liberty
North Texas Defeats Incarnate Word, Falls To Liberty
Oct. 10, 2015
DENTON — Coming off a second-place finish at the North Texas Relays, the Mean Green swimming and diving team hosted Incarnate Word and Liberty in its first dual meets of the season in a double-dual meet format on Saturday morning.
North Texas went 1-1, defeating Incarnate Word, 167-76, and falling to Liberty, 140-102. The Mean Green picked up wins in the 200-yard freestyle and in the three-meter diving competition against both opponents, and eight wins against Incarnate Word and two other wins against Liberty.
“Any time you win a meet, you have to be happy, so we’re really happy about us winning our meet against Incarnate Word,” head coach Brendon Bray said. “We took another really good step forward. We improved again, and that’s what we wanted to do. “We’re going to continue to build. We’ll be better at Texas A&M, and we’ll be a lot better against Rice and Houston.”
Sophomore Isabelle Morris won first place overall in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:52.65 and also took first place against Incarnate Word and second overall in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 53:04.
North Texas finished first, second and third overall in the three-meter diving competition, with junior Samantha Scheck (247.65) in first place, followed by senior Jasmine Abercrombie (244.13) and freshman Averie Ruiz (220.95).
The Mean Green also finished first, second and third against Incarnate Word, placing three in the top four overall, in the 200-yard backstroke, led by junior Ash Stone in first, second overall, with a time of 2:06.06.
Sophomore Caroline Culpepper posted two wins against Incarnate Word, placing second overall in the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:07.34 and fourth overall in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:16.33.
Other highlights included one-two finishes against Incarnate Word in the 200-yard medley relay, 1000-yard freestyle, 200-yard breaststroke and 400-yard freestyle relay, as well as a first-second finish against Liberty on the one-meter diving boards.
- It was the first of two home meets this season, with TCU later visiting North Texas on Friday, Jan. 29.
- North Texas moves to 6-0 all-time in dual meets against Incarnate Word and 0-1 in dual meets against Liberty.
- North Texas won first place against Incarnate Word in both relay races with the team of senior Bianca Bocsa, sophomore Claudia Kitching, freshman Kelsey Opiela and senior Michelle Balcaen in the 200-yard medley relay (1:47.92) and the team of sophomore Lauren Tidwell, senior Bianca Bocsa, sophomore Isabelle Morris and freshman Katie Moore in the 400-yard freestyle relay (3:32.77).
- Other individual winners against Incarnate Word included senior Haley Goertz in the 1000-yard freestyle (10:47.64), senior Bianca Bocsa in the 50-yard freestyle (24.10), and sophomore Claudia Kitching in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:21.26).
- North Texas also picked up a win against Liberty in the one-meter diving competition with senior Jasmine Abercrombie in first place, second overall, with a score of 230.35 and sophomore Allison Crites in second place, third overall, with a score of 219.45.
North Texas returns to the pool on Friday, Oct. 23, for a dual meet at Texas A&M.