Softball's Schkade Receives C-USA Spring Spirit Of Service Award
Schkade Among 14 Student-Athletes Awarded For Community Outreach
IRVING -- In recognition of her community service efforts, junior softball player Kelli Schkade was one of 14 student-athletes that will receive the Conference USA Spring Spirit of Service Award, C-USA Commissioner Judy MacLeod announced today.
The award is designed to recognize the community service efforts of student-athletes, based upon significant public service, good academic standing and participation in their elected sport. It is presented three times throughout the academic year, with today's 14 honorees representing C-USA's spring sports: baseball, golf, women's rowing, softball, tennis and outdoor track and field.
It's the third postseason honor for Schkade, who was also named to the Conference All-Academic Team and first team All-Conference USA team earlier this spring. She was also a two-time Conference USA Player of the Week selection.
"I believe at the end of the day it doesn't matter how many rings you have on your finger or how many times your name is in the record book," Schkade said. "I believe what matters most is who you have lifted up, who you've made better, and what you were able to give back. No matter how busy and hectic our lives may be there is always time to give back and that is something our team has really bought into this year."
On the field, the junior from Albany, Texas, started all 55 games, broke the school record for longest hitting streak and led the league in total bases, slugging percentage and runs scored and tied for the league lead in home runs.
Off the field, she maintains a 3.898 grade point average while studying kinesiology and biology and is a two-time recipient of the Conference Academic Medal and Honor Roll awards.
Schkade also serves as a member of the Student-Athlete Advisory Council and participates in various activities in the community, including Salvation Army Holiday Drives, National Student-Athlete Day and even a beautification project in her hometown of Albany, Texas.
2015-16 Winter C-USA Spirit of Service Honorees:
- Haley Pace, Charlotte, Softball
- Marcus Ghent, FIU, Men’s Track & Field
- Carnesha Thompson, Florida Atlantic, Softball
- Natalie Moran, Louisiana Tech, Softball
- Morgan Zerkle, Marshall, Softball
- Miguel Negre Fernandez, Middle Tennessee, Men’s Tennis
- Kelli Schkade, North Texas, Softball
- Colleen Rennie, Old Dominion, Women’s Rowing
- Tommy Bennett, Rice, Men’s Tennis
- Danielle Block, Southern Miss, Softball
- Joanna “JoJo” Fallen, UAB, Softball
- Kawehiokalani Netane, UTEP, Softball
- Nikki Long, UTSA, Women’s Golf
- Ellinor Haag, WKU, Women’s Golf