North Texas Downs SFA, 6-1
Hanna Rebar Goes 2-for-3 Against Former School
DENTON -- A five-run rally in the fifth inning propelled the North Texas softball team to a 6-1 victory over the Stephen F. Austin Ladyjacks on Wednesday evening, snapping a three-game losing streak in the process.
"We needed this game today to get off of that skid and turn ourselves around as a group heading into the weekend," head coach Tracey Kee said.
Freshman Hanna Rebar, who committed to SFA out of high school before transferring to North Texas, led the offense, going 2-for-3 with one RBI and two runs scored.
"I felt Rebar turned the corner a couple weekends ago," Kee said. "I know this game has been circled on her schedule for quite some time; she stepped up and delivered for us tonight. She is a gritty kid and we are happy to have her."
With the win, North Texas (19-16) owns a 12-1 mark against schools in Texas and is a perfect 7-0 at home against teams from the Lone Star State.
"This roster, aside from one, is from this state, so it's nice to see that these kids have a lot of pride in this program," Kee added. "As coaches, we want to go after every school, but credit to these kids for their performance against in-state schools."
North Texas gave starter Stacey Underwood (11-7) a one-run lead in the second inning as senior Kelli Schkade drew a bases-loaded walk, scoring Rebar.
That was more than enough, as Underwood was dominant in the circle, retiring the first 11 batters she saw, allowing only one run in five innings, while collecting two strikeouts.
Underwood's lone hiccup came in the fifth inning as SFA (12-23) knotted the game at one on Katie Clark's pinch-hit double down the left-field line, which scored Autumn Holloway, who singled to open the inning.
After that, it was all North Texas as the team pushed five runs across in the fifth inning to regain the lead. Freshman Lindsay Gregory walked and later scored on Rebar's RBI single to center, and sophomore Hannah Gerecke drove home senior Danielle Gregory on a base hit to left. Freshman Nicole Ochotnicki doubled to right-center field, plating Rebar and junior pinch-runner Grace Blagg. Gerecke later scored on an illegal pitch, finishing the scoring at 6-1.
Senior Jessica Elder and sophomore Lauren Craine each threw an inning of relief to close out the game.
SFA's Jordan Llinas (3-5) took the loss, tossing 5.1 innings allowing four runs -- three earned -- on six hits with five walks.
- North Texas is now 12-1 against in-state schools and is 9-0 since the 6-5 loss to Texas Tech on March 3.
- Hanna Rebar tallied the second multi-hit game of her career with a 2-for-3 showing. She has now reached safely in the last 10 games.
- Danielle Gregory has also reached safely in 10-straight games after a 1-for-3 showing.
- In the fifth, North Texas scored a run on an illegal pitch for the first time this season.
- Nicole Ochotnicki went 1-for-1 with two RBI, the first multi-RBI game of her career.
- This is the first time this season North Texas has thrown all three pitchers .
- North Texas did not issue a walk, but drew six of its own.
- The Mean Green are 14-5 all time against SFA and has won the last seven contests.
Up Next For The Mean Green
North Texas and Southern Miss will play a three-game Conference USA series beginning Saturday at 3 p.m. North Texas holds a two-game lead over Southern Miss in C-USA's West bracket.