North Texas Moves Winning Streak To Four With 3-2 Victory Over UTA
Mean Green Are Now 11-1 Against Texas Teams
ARLINGTON, Texas – The North Texas softball team received a dominant pitching performance in the circle from senior Stacey Underwood and a couple big hits from its offense propelled the team to a 3-2 victory over UT-Arlington on Wednesday evening at Allen Saxe Field.
With the win, North Texas moves to 18-13 and pushes its winning streak to four games.
“It was a well played game between both teams and as a coach, I had a feeling it was going to come down to one clutch hit or one clutch play,” head coach Tracey Kee said. “We got the hit and I couldn’t have asked for a better outing from Stacey.”
Underwood (10-5) threw her 10th complete game of the season, allowing two runs on five hits with three strikeouts and one walk on a mere 80 pitches.
“She did a really good job of working the umpire's zone,” Kee said. “Whenever your pitcher can throw into an umpire's zone once it is established makes them very dangerous. They were aggressive hitters, but she worked ahead in the count and that’s a positive.”
After playing four scoreless innings, freshman Lindsay Gregory opened the scoring with a two-out RBI single to right field, plating senior Kelli Schkade who started the rally with a two-out double to left.
“I was proud of Hannah tonight,” Kee added. “She didn’t play the last three games and for her to move past that and deliver tonight is something a lot of kids can’t do and I was happy to see that from her.”
That proved to be the game-winning hit, as the Mavs made things interesting in the seventh.
UTA (18-17) pushed its first run of the game across a home run to center field off the bat of Mallory Foster and put the winning run on base, but Underwood got Whitney Walton to fly out to left field to end the game and secure the victory.
Underwood kept the Mavs off the bases for the majority of the game, as the squad put a runner in scoring position only four times. Underwood retired 10 straight Mavericks across the second through fifth innings until a leadoff single in the sixth ended the streak.
UTA’s Sam Clakley took the loss, throwing seven innings of her own allowing three runs on nine hits with four strikeouts and one walk.
- Lacy Gregory moved her consecutive games reached base streak to 16 with a single in the first inning. She collected her second three-hit game with a 3-for-4 showing.
- Hannah Gerecke’s two-run home run in the sixth was her second of the season.
- Junior Grace Blagg secured her first career-stolen base in the sixth inning when she swiped third.
- Underwood secured her 10th win of the season.
- The Mean Green are on a two-game winning streak against UTA and moves to overall series to 14-6.
- North Texas is undefeated this season against UT-system schools.
- North Texas moves to 11-1 against in-state foes.
Up Next For The Mean Green
North Texas will head to the East Coast for a three-game series with Charlotte beginning on Saturday at 1 p.m.