Week 4 Game Notes
McNeese State Soccer Notes
DENTON, Texas - The weekly National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) regional and national rankings were released on Tuesday, and North Texas climbed the regional poll to No. 6 and appeared once again in “Others Receiving Votes” in the NCAA Top 25.
The Mean Green knocked off Big 12 cross-town rival TCU on Sunday, which helped NT climb from No. 9 to No. 6 regionally. North Texas is now regionally ranked ahead of in-state powers Texas, TCU and SMU.
North Texas will have opportunities to climb both polls in the coming weeks. NT faces off with three teams ranked in the top five of the regional poll; No. 1 Baylor (Sept. 20), No. 4 Oklahoma State (Sept. 22) and No. 5 Tulsa (Oct. 18).
The Mean Green takes on McNeese State (5-1) at home on Friday at 7 p.m., and will travel to face Oklahoma (2-4) in a Fox Sports Southwest televised game on Sunday at noon.
• Haley Riley, this week’s C-USA Defensive Player of the Week, was thrust into the starting role after an injury to star goalkeeper Jackie Kerestine last weekend, and the sophomore responded with back-to-back shutouts, including a five-save clean slate at TCU. Riley posted nine saves in the weekend’s two games, which san NT out-score its competition by a score of 5-0. Riley now has a 3-0 record and a 0.37 goals against average this year.
• Hedlund has preached about the depth on his squad, and it was evident last weekend. A total of 20 NT players saw action at Big 12 rival TCU.
• Since the Mean Green Soccer Complex opened in 2006 North Texas is a gaudy 59-8-5 (85.4 percent) at home.
• Freshman Rachel Holden continues to dazzle with her speed and possession abilities ... and oh yea, she can score too. Holden ranks ninth in the nation with six goals in six games.
• Midfielder Karla Pineda is the catalyst for the NT offense, which ranks 19th in the nation in scoring at 3.0 goals per game. The sophomore has posted five assists in 2013, which leads C-USA and ranks seventh nationally.
• Kelsey Hodges was named a C-USA Player to Watch for 2013. She has posted 25 career goals, which is only one shy of 10th place in program history. She also owns six career game-winning goals.