Lindsay Hulstein punched NT's ticket to the C-USA Tourney finals with her goal in the 102nd minute.
Final Box: NT 1 vs Charlotte 0
North Texas Season Stats
HOUSTON – It took over 102 minutes, but Lindsey Hulstein got her left foot on a Tori Adame corner kick and flicked it over the Charlotte goalie to give the North Texas soccer team a thrilling double-overtime 1-0 win and a berth in the Conference USA Tournament finals.
The Mean Green (14-6-1) out-shot the 49ers (11-7-2) by a margin of 26-11 in regulation, but the only shot by either team in both overtimes was the difference. North Texas, the West Division’s No. 2 seed will now take on the West’s top seed, Colorado College, for the C-USA crown and a trip to the NCAA Tournament on Sunday at 1 p.m. on CBS College Sports.
"Give Charlotte a lot of credit," said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. "They played really well defensively tonight, and their goalkeeper played outstanding. It finally took a great goal from Lindsey off a corner from Tori for us to advance to the C-USA finals."
No stranger to the NCAA Tournament, the Mean Green advanced to college soccer’s biggest stage in 2004, 2005 and 2012. Last year, NT won the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, but fell to Texas Tech, 2-0, in the first round in Lubbock, Texas.
Colorado College and North Texas met earlier this season in Colorado Springs, and the Tigers opened up a 3-0 lead before NT stormed back with a couple of goals of their own.
Next up for North Texas
• West No. 2 seed North Texas moves on to its second straight conference tournament final, and will take on West No. 1 Colorado College on Sunday on CBS Sports at 1 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• This will be the 10th conference tournament finals for North Texas. The Mean Green advanced to eight consecutive finals appearances from 2000-2007, and returned again in 2012.
• The goal was Lindsey Hulstein’s second of the season, and the third of her career.
• North Texas was 0-3-3 in its last six overtime games heading into the semifinal matchup with Charlotte. The Mean Green’s last OT win was a 1-0 double-overtime win over Sam Houston in August of 2012.
• Tori Adame recently began taking the Mean Green corner kicks, and the switch by John Hedlund paid off on Friday night. The assist was just the second of the year from Adame.
• A program accustomed to winning, North Texas reached the 14-win plateau for the 12th time in school history.