Mean Green Soccer Wins Its Seventh Straight Game
North Texas Defeats Southern Miss, 2-0
HATTIESBURG – The North Texas soccer team won its seventh straight game with a 2-0 victory against Southern Miss on Friday afternoon at the USM Soccer Complex.
The win moved the Mean Green one step closer to its second straight Conference USA regular-season championship. North Texas currently stands in first place in the conference standings and needs to win on Sunday to secure the title outright.
“Amber got us the early goal that we needed and Rachel came up big for us on the second goal,” said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. “It’s never easy winning on the road. Credit Southern Miss they played hard throughout the match and have a very bright future with all of their young talent.”
Rachel Holden added an insurance goal with a header that found the back of the net in the 60th minute. The junior forward followed up a shot by Pineda and headed in the rebound. It was Holden’s third straight goal in as many games and her fifth goal in the last six matches.
The Mean Green defense held Southern Miss to seven shots and three shots on goal. North Texas goalkeeper Jackie Kerestine recorded her 12th shutout.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas hosts Senior Day on Sunday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. The Mean Green can wrap up the regular-season title with a victory.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
•North Texas remains undefeated in conference play with a 7-0-1 record. The Mean Green also remains in first place in the conference standings.
• The Mean Green has won at least 15 games in a single season for the second straight year and the third time in the last four years. North Texas has recorded five 15-win seasons and four 16-win seasons in 21 years in program history.
• The Mean Green won its seventh straight game, a season high. The last Mean Green team to win seven straight was the 2007 team.
• North Texas improved its away record to 7-1-1.
• North Texas recorded its 13th shutout (12 shutout wins), the second most in program history. Last year’s team holds the record with 14.
• Amber Haggerty scored her fourth goal of the season and her second gamewinner. The senior is tied for fourth on the team with nine points. The nine points ties her point totals from last year.
• Karla Pineda posted her sixth and seven assists of the season. Her 31 career assists place her in sole possession of 2nd place all-time in assists at North Texas.
• Rachel Holden scored her team-leading 10th goal of the season.