Pineda Scores Game Winner Against FIU
North Texas Stands In First Place In C-USA
MIAMI - Karla Pineda converted a penalty kick and the game winner in the 88th minute to give the North Texas soccer team a 2-1 victory against FIU on Sunday afternoon.
The penalty kick ended a roller-coaster ride of a game and a weekend for the Mean Green. With today's win, North Texas remains in sole possession of first place in Conference USA with 16 points. Four teams are tied for second with 13 points.
After falling to FAU on Friday night, North Texas started Sunday's game with an early goal in the 10th minute. FIU responded late with a goal off a free kick in the 84th minute to tie the game. Instead of contemplating overtime, the Mean Green stayed on the attack and was awarded a penalty kick after a foul in the box.
Pineda converted her second penalty kick of the season and recorded her third game-winning goal. She also dished out an assist on the early goal. Pineda leads the team with seven goals and six assists.
On the opening goal, Pineda charged up the middle of the field, finding Rachel Holden on the wing. Holden beat her defender and sent the ball in the right-hand side of the goal.
FIU outshot the Mean Green in the game, but North Texas was on target with five of its six shots.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas returns home for two games in Denton next weekend.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas is the only team in the conference with just one loss
• Karla Pineda leads the team in points, goals, assists and game-winning goals
• Karla Pineda has recorded a goal and an assist in three games this season
• Rachel Holden scored her fourth goal of the season. She is second on the team in goals.
• Jackie Kerestine faced 12 FIU shots and made six saves
• In his 20th season, John Hedlund won his 275th career win with the 2-1 victory against FIU. With the 11 wins this season, he has now recorded winning seasons every year he has coached at North Texas.