Vanessa Ibewuike scored a goal and added a pair of assists in NT's 4-1 win at Tulsa on Friday.
Box Score: NT 4 at Tulsa 1
North Texas Season Stats
TULSA, Okla. – The North Texas soccer team scored on three of its first seven shots and Kelsey Hodges added some late insurance to capture a key 4-1 victory at Tulsa on Friday night.
The Mean Green (10-5-1, 4-2-1 C-USA) and the Golden Hurricane (9-5-1, 3-2-1 C-USA) entered the evening tied for second in the C-USA West Division standings, but a great finishing night from the NT offense ensured that North Texas will hold that position alone with three regular season games remaining.
“This was a great performance tonight against a very outstanding Tulsa team,” said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. “We continue to finish our chances, which makes us a very tough team to beat right now.”
Tulsa was the aggressor for much of the game, and out-shot North Texas 21-9. The Mean Green, however, put just four shots on goal, and each of them found the back of the net.
A strike from NT’s Amber Haggerty in the second minute got things started right for North Texas, and Lynda Hercules notched her third goal of the year just 12 minutes later. Vanessa Ibewuike added a goal just before halftime, and a Kelsey Hodges free kick from 40-yards out slipped past the keeper in the 89th minute for the nail in the coffin.
Next up for North Texas
• The Mean Green is off on Sunday, but returns to action at Middle Tennessee and UAB next week.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• Amber Haggerty struck in the second minute to put NT on the scoreboard. The strike was the earliest of the season for NT, and was the 13th of of Haggerty’s career..
• North Texas has now scored 10 goals in its last three Conference USA games.
• Senior Lynda Hercules earned the second start of her career, and made it count. The BYU transfer struck from 30-yards out in the 14th minute to put NT on top 2-0. Hercules hadn’t scored since netting two in the season opener at Texas Southern.
• Vanessa Ibewuike sent NT into the break with a 3-0 lead thanks to her right-footed blast from the top of the box. The goal was Ibewuike’s fifth of 2013. The senior also added a pair of assists on the night.
• Kelsey Hodges, the reigning C-USA Offensive Player of the Week and Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week selection, scored her 29th career goal on Friday, which moves her into sole possession of ninth place in school history.
• The victory assures North Texas of a winning season. The Mean Green has never had a losing season in 19 years of existence. John Hedlund trails only Anson Dorance of UNC (31 years) and John Daly of William & Mary (26 years) for the longest active streaks of winning seasons at one school.
• North Texas and Tulsa hadn’t met since 2002, but the Mean Green now owns a 4-1 mark against the Golden Hurricane all-time.