Box Score: NT 4 vs UTSA 2
North Texas Season Stats
DENTON, Texas – Kelsey Hodges played the role of Senior Night hero, blasting home a pair of goals - including the game winner in the 79th minute - in the North Texas soccer team’s 4-2 win over UTSA on Friday.
Hodges sent a laser from the top of the 18-yard box into the right side of the goal to put North Texas (8-5-1, 2-2-1 C-USA) on top for good, and herself in some elite company in the Mean Green record books. The goal was the 27th of the senior’s storied career, which moved her into sole possession of 10th place in school history.
Anna Flobeck struck three minutes later to give North Texas all the insurance it would need against a feisty Roadrunners (3-10-1, 2-2-1 C-USA) squad.
“The girls really turned it up in the second half,” said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. “Kelsey’s two goals were huge, with Amber and Anna really finishing it off.”
Hodges put NT on the board in the 33rd minute when she sent a Karla Pineda corner kick into the back of the net with a header from the six-yard box. UTSA returned the volley with a goal just minutes later.
Amber Haggerty tallied a go-ahead goal with a follow-up shot early in the second half, but a UTSA penalty kick 57-seconds later tied the game once again. That set the scene for the Hodges heroics 17 minutes later.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas takes on Charlotte for the first time on Sunday at 1 p.m. NT is now 62-9-6 at the Mean Green Soccer Complex since it opened in 2006.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• Kelsey Hodges scored a pair of goals on Friday to up her career total to 27, which ranks 10th in Mean Green program history.
• Hodges’ second-half score was also the game winner, which gives her eight for her career. That ties her with Krista Davey (1996-98) for eighth in school history.
• North Texas hasn’t lost a conference home game since 2008. NT is now 20-0-2 in its last 22 home league games.
• UTSA took the only previous meeting with North Texas, 1-0, in Denton in 2008.