Soccer Team's Rally At Colorado College Falls Short
Ibewuike, Cox Find The Net For NT Soccer, But Tiger Hold Off NT For 3-2 Win
Leah Cox made it a 3-2 game with 12 minutes to play, but Colorado College held off NT for the win.
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Colorado College notched three early goals and held off the North Texas rally in a 3-2 loss in the Mean Green's first trip to the Conference USA powerhouse.
The toughest road swing in C-USA proved a doozy for North Texas (7-5-1, 1-2-1 C-USA). The Mean Green was looking to get the taste of Friday's 4-0 loss at Rice out of its mouth, but got a bitter welcome from Colorado College (9-3-0, 4-0-0 C-USA), which jumped out to a 3-0 lead just 28 minutes into the contest.
"We're all disapointed in the result, but I'm pleased with the effort from everyone today," said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. "I thought we had the tying goal late, but give Colorado College credit. They're a very good team, especially at home."
Vanessa Ibewuike turned the momentum to North Texas' side with a goal in the 29th minute. Leah Cox added to NT's comeback in the 78th minute when she flicked a Kelsey Hodges free kick into the net. That was as close as NT would come, as the Tigers were able to thwart the Mean Green comeback over the next 12 minutes.
The Tigers, who advanced to their 10th NCAA Tournament last season, are now firmly in the driver's seat in the C-USA standings. One of the nation's traditional soccer powers, Colorado College has been to five Final Fours in its program's history.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas returns home to face UTSA on Friday Oct. 11 at 7 p.m. NT is now 61-9-6 (82.9 percent) at the Mean Green Soccer Complex since it opened in 2006.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas fell to Rice and Colorado College on this road swing - the two teams picked ahead of the Mean Green in the C-USA Preseason Coaches Poll. The Owls and Tigers outscored NT 7-2 on the weekend.
• North Texas and Colorado College had met only once previously, with NT taking a 7-0 victory in Abilene, Texas in 1998. The Tigers are now 6-0 at home this season.
• Vanessa Ibewuike opened the North Texas scoring on Sunday. Her strike in the 29th minute was her fourth of the season.
• Leah Cox scored in NT's season opener, and notched her second goal of the year in the 78th minute at Colorado College.