NT Soccer Controls Play, But USM Claws Out 1-1 Tie In C-USA Opener
Ibewuike Strike Not Enough To Down Golden Eagles
• Captain Kelsey Hodges organized NT's Kick It Kodi benefit game.
DENTON, Texas - North Texas controlled possession and out-shot Southern Miss, 30-10, but in the end the Golden Eagles scratched out a 1-1 draw to open Conference USA soccer play.
"I thought our defense played well, but we just did not get much from our offense," said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. "We had so many chances to stretch our lead, but the composure was just not there in front of the goal."
Playing for Kodi Tutt and the Kick It Kodi foundation, the Mean Green (6-3-1, 0-0-1 C-USA) found itself in front in the 12th minute thanks to the forward combo of Vanessa Ibewuike and Rachel Holden. Ibewuike flicked a ball on to the freshman, who played a ball back into the box for the waiting senior to finish.
A dominating first half of soccer for North Texas yielded little results as the nation's leading scorer evened the game just before half. USM's Danica Roberts notched her 12th goal in 11 games with a right footed blast that found the back post netting.
NT went into the break tied, 1-1, despite a 14-2 edge in shots over the Golden Eagles (6-2-3, 0-0-1 C-USA).
The Mean Green thought it had scored the potential game winning goals - one with two minutes remaining in regulation and the other in OT - but both were called back.
Up Next For North Texas
• North Texas takes on Louisiana Tech on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• The Mean Green donned special yellow Kick It Kodi uniforms in honor of Kodi Tutt and her foundation. Nine-year old Tutt courageously battled cancer and has been cancer free for a year and a half. Kick It Kodi hosted raffles, a snow cone stand, bounce houses and a silent auction to raise money and awareness for the fight against childhood cancer.
• USM entered the game with the NCAA's top offense and its top individual scorer. While Danica Roberts found the net, NT held the Golden Eagles offense to just 10 shots in 110 minutes. USM entered the night with an average of 3.7 goals per game.
• Tonight marked the first conference game as a member of C-USA for North Texas. NT is now 38-12-5 all-time against current C-USA teams.