Holden Notches Another Hat Trick, NT Soccer Romps OU, 5-0
Mean Green Blasts Sooners, 5-0, Thanks To Holden Hat Trick
VIDEO: Watch how the Mean Green prepared to take down Oklahoma on Sunday.
NORMAN, Okla. - Talented freshman Rachel Holden and the North Texas soccer team blasted their way past Oklahoma in a 5-0 victory in Norman on Sunday afternoon.
Just a week after knocking off TCU, the (ORV) Mean Green (6-2-0) downed another Big 12 team, this time thanks to a Holden hat trick. The Lancaster, Texas native struck in the 23rd, 68th and 73rd minute for her second hat trick in eight games this year.
"We beat a very good OU team today, a team that lost only 1-0 at No. 3 Florida State last week," North Texas head coach John Hedlund said. "If this 5-0 result does not put us somewhere in the top 20, then there is obviously something wrong with the system."
The win marks the fourth time that North Texas knocked off two Big 12 teams in the same year, having also accomplished that feat in 2009, 2008 and 1998. NT is now 5-1 all-time against the Sooners.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• North Texas is now 5-1 all-time against the Sooners, and is now 17-19-2 all-time against the Big 12.
• Rachel Holden notched her 7th, 8th and 9th goals of the season, which gave the freshman her second hat trick of the year. Holden is now tied atop the scoring lead for Conference USA.
• The Mean Green hasn’t allowed a goal in four games thanks to last week’s C-USA Defensive Player of the Week, Haley Riley. In fact, North Texas hasn’t conceded a goal in 382:11.
• The Mean Green led 2-0 at the half, which marked the fourth straight game NT entered the break with a 2-0 edge.
• The win marks the fourth time that North Texas knocked off two Big 12 teams in the same year, having also accomplished that feat in 2009, 2008 and 1998.
• Amber Haggerty got North Texas on the board in the 10th minute with her 3rd of the year. It was the 11th goal of the sophomore’s career.
• Kelsey Hodges started her 70th career game for NT, and tallied an assist off a free kick in the 10th minute.
• Freshman Allison Harper found the back of the net with 20 seconds left in the game for her second career goal, and her second goal in as many games.